Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franky4fingers

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
System: Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo 2.33, X1600 256MB, 2 GB Ram, running Windows XP service pack 2 with Bootcamp 1.4 drivers.

Demo ran via steam. Demo settings were at max, 1440x900. Frame Rate was playable in most areas.

Images linked to preserve resolution.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/7591/bioshock1iw2.jpg
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7982/bioshock2zo1.jpg
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/76/bioshock3ef8.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/4444/bioshock4wl1.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5169/bioshock5aj8.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2290/bioshock6bw1.jpg

thanks for the pics cheesecake :)
Can anyone report on how well it is running on a MBP 2,2 with Bootcamp 1.4 drivers?
What job does the MBP do while interpolating from 1440x... to 1280x700

nebulight

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
Plays well on high settings at 1280x768 on a new 24" iMac, other than there being no floor textures. It makes it unplayable, but it's a driver issue that'll be fixed in time. ATI has put out a hotfix, but it doesn't work under Boot Camp.

This is really pissing me off. I just installed Vista so I could get the DX10 stuff in this game, and I can't see crap, half of the textures are all black. Anyone have a work around for this, I've tried installing them manually, but no go.

PinkZeppelin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Baton Rouge
Bought the game and installed on vista ultimate. I'm having an issue with the game stop working after the intro video. Just a blank screen with no sound. Running on a MBP 2.2 8600mgt 128mb.

PinkZeppelin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Baton Rouge
Thanks dubbz for the link. Downloading drivers and ill see what happens. It seems that the nvidia cards are not working but the ati are fine. I have the same problem nebulight. I start a new game and it plays that intro film and crashes soon after.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
Alright, I ran the BioShock PC Demo on the new iMac (20") with HD 2600. I only have 1GB RAM atm.

Running Windows XP Home with Boot Camp 1.4 drivers (Catalyst drivers from ATI do not work properly on the new iMacs)

All in all it felt very playable at the default settings of:

Resolution: 1024x768

Graphics Quality - High
Actor Detail - High
Texture Detail - High

Windowed Mode - OFF
Vertical Sync - ON
Shadow Maps - ON
High Detail Post Processing - ON
High Detail Shaders - ON
Real Time Reflection - ON
Distortion - ON
Force Global Lighting - OFF
DirectX 10 Detail Surfaces - OFF (Disabled)

Min: 15
Max: 52
Average: 26

I then took the settings down to Medium which seemed much more stable but still looked great.

On this I was able to get:

Min: 17
Max: 59
Average: 30

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Was it resizing the image to fill the screen?
I've heard of games just filling the pixels its supposed to but I'm not sure how that works.

TheStranger55

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Ok I have a macbook pro santa rosa with the Nvidia geforce 8600m gt, I bought the game and it would crash after the intro finished showing only a black screen.

I called tech support and after doing all their suggestions (They don't care if you are running it on a mac as long as you are using windows and have the requirements) and they told me it was probably a driver problem and I should download the forceware beta drivers.

I'm not sure the forceware beta drivers are for mobile gpus but I'll give it a go now.

They did tell me that they didn't test the game on a mac yet, but they don't think that was the problem and was willing to give me more tech support since I meet the requirements.

nebulight

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks dubbz for the link. Downloading drivers and ill see what happens. It seems that the nvidia cards are not working but the ati are fine. I have the same problem nebulight. I start a new game and it plays that intro film and crashes soon after.

Well, I can actually get into the game and move around, but I get to a point in the game were I go down an elivator and I view a video that is projected inside, but if I dont' look at it, it won't crash. But the minute I turn around and look, it crashes. I've tried 7.7 drivers, 7.8, and the hotfix drivers. The hotfix comes close everything looks great, but it will crash during that video in the elivator. All the other drivers, I have black textures. GRRR, I've been at it for about 4 hours now. This is all with Vista, I might put XP back on and screw the DX10 addons.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Was it resizing the image to fill the screen?

If you mean the widescreen thing; It cuts away the top and bottom part of the screen then zooms it so it fills the screen. You basically loose some good chunks of the picture.

As for Vista and NVIDIA. Their Vista driver history hasn't exactly been something to be proud of, especially for their 8xxx series, so anyone running that combo might want to consider "down"grading to XP - if possible.

nebulight

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
Possible Vista DX10 iMac 2600 Pro Fix

If you go to the start menu and go to Games on the top right part of the start menu, then right click on Bioshock Icon and click Play - DirectX9, that fixed my issue in Vista with the Bootcamp 1.4 ATI driver so far. It doesn't lock up at the video anymore, but I haven't tried much else, because I thought I'd post to let you guys know.

PinkZeppelin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
Baton Rouge
Well after updating the drivers from laptop2go, the game works great. Haven't played around with the video settings yet but its seems playable at 1280x720 at medium settings. What setting are you guys on and is there a way to view your fps?

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Well after updating the drivers from laptop2go, the game works great. Haven't played around with the video settings yet but its seems playable at 1280x720 at medium settings. What setting are you guys on and is there a way to view your fps?

No in-game framerate display, as far as I know...

But FRAPS can display your framerate (it should be fairly accurate, but no guarantees). Plus you get some limited recording abilities in the free version ;)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006

Use FRAPS.

I downloaded the demo overnight but it crapped out at around 1GB for some reason, with my connection, I think I'll just wait for the full game.

For ATI Mobility users wishing to install 7.8 and the hotfix, this might help http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/. Catalyst install just fine on my first gen MBP but possibly some users are having problems.

tbmx

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
I'll post when I get home with more specific performance but it looked great this morning with the demo on my Mac Pro 2.66ghz 3gb ram, x1900 @ 1680x1050 at high detail under XP. I picked up the full game and will be installing tonight.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
all i know is on my mbp 2.2 ghz it was running max everything, 1440x900 at a fairly okay framerate, dipped a bit, but kept freezing after the elevator stops :(

that and my laptop fans are running so hard it sounds like it is going to explode.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Does Bootcamp emulate EAX audio?

You people and your game performance comparisons. :p I'll play this game at the lowest rez and settings if needed, which I can do for a $35 upgrade.

<]=)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I can't get the demo to run. At all. "Windows cannot access the specified file." Plus AVG tells me there's a trojan (Generic6.UMS) in the EXE (disabling AVG does no good either though). I downloaded it from two different (non-suspicious) sources and same results.

Tommy Tallarico

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2007
Possible Vista DX10 iMac 2600 Pro Fix

If you go to the start menu and go to Games on the top right part of the start menu, then right click on Bioshock Icon and click Play - DirectX9, that fixed my issue in Vista with the Bootcamp 1.4 ATI driver so far. It doesn't lock up at the video anymore, but I haven't tried much else, because I thought I'd post to let you guys know.
Thank you! I can't believe I never thought to try that.

All the textures load fine and it runs at 30+ fps at 1280x768 on highest settings. You can bump it up to 1920x1200 for native resolution on the 24", but it drops to about 15 fps. I imagine it's playable at medium settings.
I can't get the demo to run. At all. "Windows cannot access the specified file." Plus AVG tells me there's a trojan (Generic6.UMS) in the EXE (disabling AVG does no good either though). I downloaded it from two different (non-suspicious) sources and same results.
I got the trojan warning from AVG too. It's a false positive.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
i am downloading it from steam now (19%!) but after I installed bootcamp 1.4 it seemed to work a lot better.

I was running the demo at 1280x720, high detail/textures/models, everything on but window mode and the last lighting option. It was running quite nicely, a few little dips but thats okay. I can't wait to get into it...only another 4 or 5 hours of downloading left :p

octavian90

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Poor performance..

I have the exact same specs as the MBP above (2.33ghz, 256mb x1600, 2g ram), and I can only run the demo/game at 800x600 on high to achieve decent framerates. 1024 starts lagging, and 1400 is very stuttery. I overclocked the x1600 to 480/480.

Any suggestions please? Anyone else experiencing it on MBP's?

Chone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
I have the exact same specs as the MBP above (2.33ghz, 256mb x1600, 2g ram), and I can only run the demo/game at 800x600 on high to achieve decent framerates. 1024 starts lagging, and 1400 is very stuttery. I overclocked the x1600 to 480/480.

Any suggestions please? Anyone else experiencing it on MBP's?

I'll test with my MBP (same specs as yours except its a Core Duo processor) but also keep the framerate tolerance between people (and game) varies by quite a bit.

For example, I could have sweared Call of Duty 2 was running at around 30fps or so because it was smooth and playable to me but then I turned on FRAPS and turns out I've been playing at 15FPS :p but COD2 is the only game that I can play at that rate, most other games I can play at 25-30 FPS just fine as long as there are not massive fluctuations (such as 30 to 7, even if its a split second, its bothersome).

Just a heads up, its better to compare performance numbers to numbers, what may feel "smooth and playable" to someone might feel "slow and unplayable" to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.