Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Update volume added. Disk incompatibility dialog. "Big Sur" volume renamed post-install to "Big Sur - Data"

Could someone help clarify some of this stuff. Thx

Also: which volumes do I now erase if I which to start over back to Macintosh HD only (my Mojave partition). Can I erase "Update" and "Big Sur - Data". Previously to attempting this Big Sur installation I have but one main volume "Macintosh HD"

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 09.02.50.png

Also, since installed Big Sur when I boot into Mojave I see this, hmm:

Screenshot 2020-11-15 at 08.53.30.png

Last edited:
Reactions: EyeTack

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
Update volume added. Disk incompatibility dialog. "Big Sur" volume renamed post-install to "Big Sur - Data"

Could someone help clarify some of this stuff. Thx

Also: which volumes do I now erase if I which to start over back to Macintosh HD only (my Mojave partition). Can I erase "Update" and "Big Sur - Data". Previously to attempting this Big Sur installation I have but one main volume "Macintosh HD"

View attachment 1667503

Also, since installed Big Sur when I boot into Mojave I see this, hmm:

View attachment 1667504
If you would click on the "View" widget and chose "Show All Devices" and post a screenshot it would help us tell you exactly what to remove.

1605442988378.jpeg

Last edited:

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
I was hoping that you had installed BS in a separate container. I think that you could safely erase "Big Sur and Update" but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
As far as the "Incompatible Disk" warning is concerned, I have gotten that when I have booted into an external Mojave backup disk (with BS on my internal disk) that I have with no problems.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reactions: Mac Fly (film)

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I was hoping that you had installed BS in a separate container. I think that you could safely erase "Big Sur and Update" but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
As far as the "Incompatible Disk" warning is concerned, I have gotten that when I have booted into an external Mojave backup disk (with BS on my internal disk) that I have with no problems.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
I deleted Big Sur - Data and Update. No issues.

However I did notice on reboot the new startup chime remains, as does the Disk incompatibility dialog. I wish I had known to install Big Sur on a different container, though someone in another thread claims to have done so and still experienced the same Disk incompatibility dialog. I have no way to verify the veracity of their statement.

Reactions: Peadogie

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
I deleted Big Sur - Data and Update. No issues.
I'm glad it worked out ok for you. :cool:
However I did notice on reboot the new startup chime remains, as does the Disk incompatibility dialog
Yeah, since both systems were in the same container it left the lower level changes ("Preboot" ect.) that BS introduced.
You can toggle the startup chime with the following commands in the Terminal app if it bugs you:
To turn it on:sudo nvram StartupMute=%00
To turn it off:
sudo nvram StartupMute=%01

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I would backup any data, and the - Data volume which CCC will do, just not System.
Then erase the drive and start clean. You have Time machine or something. Then migrate post install.

Not sure if 11.01 still adds a hidden recovery volume but it should. At least then it will be fully compatible.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I would backup any data, and the - Data volume which CCC will do, just not System.
Then erase the drive and start clean. You have Time machine or something. Then migrate post install.

Not sure if 11.01 still adds a hidden recovery volume but it should. At least then it will be fully compatible.
Could you clarify what you mean exactly? I'm kind of confused at this point.

Ernie0878

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
I have tried installing Big Sur on a different partition and different volume on the same partition as Mojave, with my documents, personal folders and downloads on another volume. Still get this msg: "Incompatible Disk. This disk uses features that are not supported on this version of MacOS". I have chatted with Apple Support about this and they don't have a solution and the response I got was, since my MBP is more that 5 yrs old (MBP 15" retina mid 2014), there are limited resources available and no answer for this problem. And it could be that Big Sur is 64bit OS vs Mojave is a 32bit OS and Mojave is not upward compatible therefore it alerts on the incompatibility. I don't see any harm being done. The only time the msg stop appearing is when Big Sur is deleted. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
Could you clarify what you mean exactly? I'm kind of confused at this point.
Not a good idea for you to install Big Sur onto same container as Mojave.

Going from Mojave to Big Sur is a big step. Lots of changes, even over Catalina.

If you have proper back up of your Mojave (CCC, SuperDuper or TM), I would suggest a redo, with a clean install.

Boot into recovery mode, erase disk, reinstall Big Sur.
***Would suggest creating a USB bootable Big Sur install, just in case. You have deleted some volumes on disk, so not sure if you have messed up recovery mode as well.

You can then choose to migrate data from Mojave backup or setup from zero.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.