Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amtjb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I am a newbie with computer terminology so these questions might not be asked correctly. Hopefully it will be good enough to decipher to answer my questions. I have a perfect working Xserve that I don't want to get rid of installed into a custom rack built by XRackPro by GizMac.

My question is if I connect two or more Xserve together will it mean my CPU power has increase that would allow for task to be accomplished much more faster? I am going to be doing Bitcoin mining and I am deciding if I should buy all new computers designed specifically for Bitcoin mining, accompanied with compatible fans, and rack; this will cost me $6000 or more. My second choice is to buy more Xserves, accompanied with compatible fans and, memory that would cost me around $2000 -$2500.

If I buy more than one Xserve, should they all have the same CPU rating?

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
Could be done for the novelty and/or learning experience, but otherwise a waste of money.
I am a newbie with computer terminology so these questions might not be asked correctly. Hopefully it will be good enough to decipher to answer my questions. I have a perfect working Xserve that I don't want to get rid of installed into a custom rack built by XRackPro by GizMac.
Yeah, I can't stand to get rid of mine just quite yet, for purely sentimental reasons. The electricity doesn't cost much, and they are neat machines to look at.

My question is if I connect two or more Xserve together will it mean my CPU power has increase that would allow for task to be accomplished much more faster?
Yes, but your application has to be capable of running on multiple machines simultaneously, and you'll need to take any performance hits into account. For Bitcoin at this scale, it doesn't matter...

I am going to be doing Bitcoin mining and I am deciding if I should buy all new computers designed specifically for Bitcoin mining, accompanied with compatible fans, and rack; this will cost me $6000 or more. My second choice is to buy more Xserves, accompanied with compatible fans and, memory that would cost me around $2000 -$2500.
If you're trying to flush money down the drain, go ahead. The Xserves, no matter how souped up, will never be a practical Bitcoin rig.

You'd be better off taking that money and investing in Bitcoin (or something else).

amtjb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
That is what I think I have read in my research. GPU intensive.

l008com

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
You need custom silicon (ASICs) to mine bitcoin. You will get nothing mining on a CPU. And even if you found a way to squeeze a high end GPU in that Xserve, you really can't mine bitcoin with those either. You could mine other coins with GPUs but Xserves are a terrible machine for that. They're not really built around having high end expansion cards. They're built around CPU intensive tasks.

Of course back when bitcoins were new, you could mine them with CPU. And something like an Xserve would just RAKE in the coins all day long. The coins were worthless, but you would have gotten hundreds or even thousands of them. Oh well.

amtjb

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
You need custom silicon (ASICs) to mine bitcoin. You will get nothing mining on a CPU. And even if you found a way to squeeze a high end GPU in that Xserve, you really can't mine bitcoin with those either. You could mine other coins with GPUs but Xserves are a terrible machine for that. They're not really built around having high end expansion cards. They're built around CPU intensive tasks.

Of course back when bitcoins were new, you could mine them with CPU. And something like an Xserve would just RAKE in the coins all day long. The coins were worthless, but you would have gotten hundreds or even thousands of them. Oh well.
[doublepost=1540748732][/doublepost]Thanks for the information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.