Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I'm using BiteSMS 7.6 beta 8 and I've noticed since Wednesday that when using QC to send a text to an iPhone user who is using iMessage that BiteSMS sends it as a normal SMS and not an iMessage.

If I use BiteSMS itself it recognizes iMessage and uses it properly, just not when using QC. Quick Reply however, responds appropriately as an iMessage.

Anyone know if this is a bug or a known issue that can be fixed?

All the threads I can find on this via Google are one to two years old.

Last edited:

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I'm using BiteSMS 7.6 beta 8 and I've noticed since Wednesday that when using QC to send a text to an iPhone user who is using iMessage that BiteSMS sends it as a normal SMS and not an iMessage.

If I use BiteSMS itself it recognizes iMessage and uses it properly, just not when using QC. Quick Reply however, responds appropriately as an iMessage.

Have you tried a non beta version?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I used to. Maybe I'll go back to that. It's not a big deal really as I have unlimited texting and the replies to my QC go back as iMessages (it's just the initial message that gets sent as SMS). I was just curious to see if this was a known issue or bug or whatever.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may revert.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Well, I used to. Maybe I'll go back to that. It's not a big deal really as I have unlimited texting and the replies to my QC go back as iMessages (it's just the initial message that gets sent as SMS). I was just curious to see if this was a known issue or bug or whatever.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may revert.

Are you using any other tweaks which might interfere? Any keyboard tweaks? For some reason I vaguely remember having a very similar issue with Touchpal installed. Although maybe it wasn't touchpal after all but instead Bite Beta. A couple months ago I dropped the beta because after a while between resprings (I rarely respring) my notification center would freeze and then take forever to be responsive after opening. I removed the beta and the problem went away.

Anyways, I am using the public release and I don't have this problem you describe. Ill install the beta later today and let you know if I also experience it.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

I'm on the latest beta and QC does choose to send as an iMessage and not a SMS

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA

If the main reason you're using Bite is for QR/QC, then I suggest using Messages. It's of much lighter weight and it looks like how iOS would handle QR/QC.

Great tweak if you don't need all of those other features of bite.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I'm using the same latest bite beta and QC works fine sending blue/iMessages through.
Weird.
When did It start doing that? Did you install or update anything lately?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Are you using any other tweaks which might interfere? Any keyboard tweaks? For some reason I vaguely remember having a very similar issue with Touchpal installed. Although maybe it wasn't touchpal after all but instead Bite Beta. A couple months ago I dropped the beta because after a while between resprings (I rarely respring) my notification center would freeze and then take forever to be responsive after opening. I removed the beta and the problem went away.

Anyways, I am using the public release and I don't have this problem you describe. Ill install the beta later today and let you know if I also experience it.
That's entirely possible. I've got a bazillion tweaks or so, but not many related to messaging. I tried one tweak a while back that did something else that caused me to keep entering safe mode. I removed it and by the time I got things stable again it had wiped out BiteSMS's Chatheads thing in the NC. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Later tonight I'll probably try either reinstalling or installing a non-beta version.

----------

I'm on the latest beta and QC does choose to send as an iMessage and not a SMS
Hmmm…thanks! It's probably down to a conflict with another tweak somewhere then or that bad tweak I installed that wiped out the chatheads.

----------

If the main reason you're using Bite is for QR/QC, then I suggest using Messages. It's of much lighter weight and it looks like how iOS would handle QR/QC.

Great tweak if you don't need all of those other features of bite.
Thanks! I do use the other features of BiteSMS though and although I didn't care for it much in the beginning (pink is NOT my color) I've managed to theme it and now prefer it.

Probably going to take a look at Messages though.

----------

I'm using the same latest bite beta and QC works fine sending blue/iMessages through.
Weird.
When did It start doing that? Did you install or update anything lately?
Yeah, it is kind of wierd.

I first noticed on Wednesday. There's only one person I iMessage domestically and that's my sister. I sent her a message from the QC and that's when I noticed. I don't normally call her or message her though and the other people I use iMessage for are international iPhone users and I'm usually in the full application for that.

It happened again last night when I messaged my wife, who because she now has an iPhone, I'm not sending SMS to anymore.

As far as tweaks recently installed, maybe one or two in the last week or so. I'd have to look them up. Minor stuff that doesn't relate to messaging. I'll have to go take a look.

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Thanks! I do use the other features of BiteSMS though and although I didn't care for it much in the beginning (pink is NOT my color) I've managed to theme it and now prefer it.

Probably going to take a look at Messages though.

Messages is flipping awesome. I am a huge fan of the developer and was really excited when he released this. I use and sort of rely on a lot of the additional features if bite. If I didn't, I would be all over this tweak. Great tweak if you only want QC/QR.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
OK, I can't seem to install anything other than the current beta I am on. Still not working. However, when the beta is installed I can see BiteSMS 7.3 in Cydia. Uninstall the beta and the only BiteSMS that shows is the beta. Wierd!

Anyway, the latest tweaks installed would have been an update to Activator, AppSwiper (August 16th), Dolphin for Velox (August 14th), AppTracker (August 8th), TypographyTimeforNotificationCenter (August 5th), and UnlockEvents which goes all the way back to July 16. Of course there have been updates to already installed tweaks since then.

I'm in no rush to solve this as it's really just a minor annoyance, not a showstopper. But if anyone has ideas I'm open.

Checked out Messages. Looks cool, but I really do like the black theme I've got going across my UI and DarkSMS Pro works really well with BiteSMS.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys. I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
OK, I can't seem to install anything other than the current beta I am on. Still not working. However, when the beta is installed I can see BiteSMS 7.3 in Cydia. Uninstall the beta and the only BiteSMS that shows is the beta. Wierd!

Anyway, the latest tweaks installed would have been an update to Activator, AppSwiper (August 16th), Dolphin for Velox (August 14th), AppTracker (August 8th), TypographyTimeforNotificationCenter (August 5th), and UnlockEvents which goes all the way back to July 16. Of course there have been updates to already installed tweaks since then.

I'm in no rush to solve this as it's really just a minor annoyance, not a showstopper. But if anyone has ideas I'm open.

Checked out Messages. Looks cool, but I really do like the black theme I've got going across my UI and DarkSMS Pro works really well with BiteSMS.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys. I really appreciate it!

If you remove the biteSMS beta repo, can you see the latest public version? I believe it's 7.6

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
You need to remove the repo in order to install the public release.

Edit: Darrick already suggested this. Anyways, install the public release and report back.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Well, it was 7.5 and nope, it didn't work. When I go back to the app to check the color of the message sent it's green.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Allright, this is becoming more hassle than it's worth. I posted the question originally because I was just curious if it was a known issue since I was using the beta.

I have a lot of tweaks and since until yesterday I rarely used iMessage this has never been a problem. So, short of that one tweak I installed (which I can't seem to find the post here on) which obliterated the beta's NC chat heads (or whatever they are called) I've got no real idea what may be causing the conflict. It's not worth the hassle of disrupting what I've got to figure this out.

So, thanks for the assist guys but I think I'll just leave it alone at this point.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
BiteSMS Quick Compose sends SMS, not iMessage

Does the messages tweak allow you to lock the app like BiteSMS?

everfangomanga

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Osaka, Japan
I think I found the solution. I had the same issue with QR/QC. iMessage would work with some contacts, but not with others. I noticed that the contacts that iMessage worked for had a + and the country code before the full phone number. For example, if the phone number was 555-123-4567 (and was a U.S. number) I had to enter it as +15551234567. 1 being the country code. Kind of a pain to change all your contacts to that format, but if you just do it as it comes up, shouldn't be a huge deal. Give it a shot and let me know if it works!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I think I found the solution. I had the same issue with QR/QC. iMessage would work with some contacts, but not with others. I noticed that the contacts that iMessage worked for had a + and the country code before the full phone number. For example, if the phone number was 555-123-4567 (and was a U.S. number) I had to enter it as +15551234567. 1 being the country code. Kind of a pain to change all your contacts to that format, but if you just do it as it comes up, shouldn't be a huge deal. Give it a shot and let me know if it works!
BINGO!

Awesome dude, thanks a lot! I only have a few people I iMessage so this should not be too bad to re-enter.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.