Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
The new messages app on iOS 8 has most features of bitesms. Just wish it had contract photos.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
What? It never took them 7-9 months to update and put out a working release.
Sounds like their main dev left and they are stuck with nothing.
Sad to hear the bad news cause the stock quick reply messages app is nowhere near as good as bite used to be.
Hope some other quick reply options pop up in the future on cydia.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Sad to hear the bad news cause the stock quick reply messages app is nowhere near as good as bite used to be.

I agree it's sad. I guess move to Auki?

I think they probably aren't "doing as well" now with iOS 8 incorporating features from BiteSMS, and there being fiercer competition.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Damn. Very sad news indeed. Hopefully one of the quick compose tweaks gets updated soon!

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I can't remember when I purchased bitesms originally. iOS 4 maybe. Payed for full license and haven't since. I've donated twice since that but I gotta assume many do not. Can't be good for business...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I can't remember when I purchased bitesms originally. iOS 4 maybe. Payed for full license and haven't since. I've donated twice since that but I gotta assume many do not. Can't be good for business...

I doubt it's about that. People not donating or revenue issues.
Even if they wanted to charge for an upgrade fee I would pay and many others would too even if they didn't put out a free version with ads. Bite was a favorite hack for most jailbreakers.
Sometimes things change and people move on or lose interest on certain things or not possible to get along together to work on the same project.
Let's see who and what steps in to fill the gap. I'm sure we will see others ideas.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I doubt it's about that. People not donating or revenue issues.
Even if they wanted to charge for an upgrade fee I would pay and many others would too even if they didn't put out a free version with ads. Bite was a favorite hack for most jailbreakers.
Sometimes things change and people move on or lose interest on certain things or not possible to get along together to work on the same project.
Let's see who and what steps in to fill the gap. I'm sure we will see others ideas.

I hope it isn't extinct it's my #1 app and I've tried them all. Possible they're just reworking the app from the ground up and taking advantage of iOS built in reply and making it better like always. I could see something with most of the features but a much lighter build...

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
This news sucks, but since I like the QR only, I'm looking forward to Auki anyway.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Bitesms.
Martin was the main guy and admin on their forum.
For months now its been dead at their own forum and the rest of their supposedly devs haven't been around at all.

Gotcha, I thought maybe you were replying to my post about Auki. Hopefully if Bites going to take months, Auki will be updated quicker.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

I think it's a possibility it could take them that long

If you noticed for both iOS 6 & 7, they would stop releasing new updates in the later half of Q1 or early half of Q2 the next year

And they would publicly say that they are working on developing for the next iOS version. the update for 7.1.x compaibility was an exception due to the unexpected jailbreak release by pangu

It is a shame that biteSMS for iOS 8.x won't be coming out soon :(

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I think it's a possibility it could take them that long

If you noticed for both iOS 6 & 7, they would stop releasing new updates in the later half of Q1 or early half of Q2 the next year

And they would publicly say that they are working on developing for the next iOS version. the update for 7.1.x compaibility was an exception due to the unexpected jailbreak release by pangu

It is a shame that biteSMS for iOS 8.x won't be coming out soon :(

I don't know bro.
I don't think any app dev can plan to put out a package 7 months after the jb release and expect to be successful or profitable.
By then the early boom of millions of newly jb devices will be gone. Jb will be patched and the boat will have sailed for other better places :D

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I don't know bro.
I don't think any app dev can plan to put out a package 7 months after the jb release and expect to be successful or profitable.
By then the early boom of millions of newly jb devices will be gone. Jb will be patched and the boat will have sailed for other better places :D

by the 7-9 months, i don't think they meant it'll take 7-9 months after the jailbreak, but 7-9 months from when they started developing for iOS 8

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Copic does that but I am not sure if it is compatible with iOS 8 yet.

Ya, when I had tried Copic it crashed my phone app, contacts and messages. I just removed it for now until it gets updated. I also tried Cyntacts, but not updated for IOS 8 either :( I was hoping there was some other tweak to try. I'm missing BiteSms too. I purchased it for my i5 JB and loved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.