Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
I am disappointed with Apple hardware quality. A new Samsung 21 SE with unpopular color over here is just around 1/3 price with almost exactly same hardware spec as the pro I am using now, I would try that kind of solution next time, 1/3 price I don’t care if it has hardware software problem.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
Well time should solve it since people report eventually the practice would move and disappear. The particle in mine does not move like how this post creator reported.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
So hard to move the particle. Actually there are 2 more particles but so hard to see these too, basically invisible except you check with a white background. I think a lot of users have some particles on the 3x sensor just don’t carefully check then never know.

So far cannot move any of these 3 particles yet.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Photographed the sky and the wall on my old 13P and luckily no dots. Maynbe worth checking with Apple even out of warranty devices if this problem is present

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
It is around $200 usd for new camera module.
Ok, good to know. But maybe, as this is obviously a flaw from manufacturing, and warranty could be just expired, they could fix it for free is asking nicely

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
I even try sport muscle vibrator does not work lol xd

No idea why the particles is so sticky. The muscle massage gun is like 4000 hits per minute lol xd I tried like 30 minutes for any position on the back of the phone with camera face ground, still cannot move any of these 3 particles at all.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
It must be something inside the actual lens, near the sensor. Dust on the outer lens will be invisible. Only thing that can creat this is dust or something just over the sensor, just like it happens with DSLR with dust on sensor when changing lenses, or dust in the back lens

‘Agreed. I think it is some debris on the sensor.

In my past DSLR it is time to break out the swabs to clean.

Reactions: coso

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
Sad that Apple does not provide clean camera lens service except the phone is within warranty period. I would pay like $50 for Apple to just clean the lens but they don’t sell this service.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Sad that Apple does not provide clean camera lens service except the phone is within warranty period. I would pay like $50 for Apple to just clean the lens but they don’t sell this service.
That's not possible because the lens units is a solid sealed block. You can clean dust on the outside element (the one that you can see with a naked eye from the back), but you can't disassemble the lens from the sensor like you do in a DSLR/Mirrorless camera

Reactions: Jackbequickly

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
That's not possible because the lens units is a solid sealed block. You can clean dust on the outside element (the one that you can see with a naked eye from the back), but you can't disassemble the lens from the sensor like you do in a DSLR/Mirrorless camera

Apple technical staff would try to clean the outer surface of sensor or the glass first if still within warranty.

coso

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2012
Apple technical staff would try to clean the outer surface of sensor or the glass first if still within warranty.

Yes, but dust on the outer lens will not affect the final image. Try putting dust on the lens and take a picture, you won't see anything. It's the same with DSLRs, it's common to have dust inside the lens, in particular not tropicalized sealed lens, but they don't matter. Only dust on the sensor on on the back lens is visible. So in case of that in an iPhone, only a total lens module change would fix it, sadly. Examples:

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
Yes, but dust on the outer lens will not affect the final image. Try putting dust on the lens and take a picture, you won't see anything. It's the same with DSLRs, it's common to have dust inside the lens, in particular not tropicalized sealed lens, but they don't matter. Only dust on the sensor on on the back lens is visible. So in case of that in an iPhone, only a total lens module change would fix it, sadly. Examples:

Also many people report the dust can be “shaked” off like this one:

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
I have read a lot of dust in camera sensor stuff online no matter here, Reddit, local tech forums. Seem like at least 95% cases happen to iPhone but not Android. While there are much more Android than iPhone in the world for sure. Apple quality control is really bad while Apple charges so much more money.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
I have read a lot of dust in camera sensor stuff online no matter here, Reddit, local tech forums. Seem like at least 95% cases happen to iPhone but not Android. While there are much more Android than iPhone in the world for sure. Apple quality control is really bad while Apple charges so much more money.

When I do the searching, I also see many other posts talk about having dust in iPhone screens, seem like this is another popular QC problem of iPhone.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
When you went to Genius Bar to fix this issue, did the Apple staff send you a Genius Bar analysis email or something like that? Or just the receipt email saying the camera replacement cost after the camera had been replaced?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.