Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Hello, I was wondering how well a BlackBook could handle recording tasks using the Logic software? I plan on getting a Firewire interface as well. Would latency be an issue with this setup? I'm gonna toss in 4 gigs of ram also.

Thanks!

mos6502

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
I'm interested in this also, as I'm on the fence about a refurb 2.2 santa-rosa MBP or a refurb SR blackbook.

I read some alarming things about the firewire chip used in recent apple laptops though :(

honeycrisp

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Boy, I don't know. I've got a mid-range white MacBook and even Garageband tests its limits. If I were you, I would go with the MBP.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I've been running...

InDesign CS, GB, Illustrator CS, Photoshop CS, Final Cut Pro HD, iMovie and iDVD on my MB 2.16 and I'll be doing the same on my MB 2.4 250GB starting this weekend. The key has been having an external HD to keep all my media/graphics projects off my MB. I'm also considering Aperture 2 and Final Cut Express in the very near future. :cool:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
In terms of running Logic the Apple store has Logic installed on specific machines such as the Mac Pro, iMac and MBP. The Macbooks do not have any recording software on the except Garageband which does work well. I would look at the fact that since Logic is demo'd at the Apple store on only Macs with a dedicated GPU one would think it doesn't run well on a Macbook.

Here are Logic's system requirements although I would recommend dropping by an Apple store and asking them.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 149

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Good to know...

In terms of running Logic the Apple store has Logic installed on specific machines such as the Mac Pro, iMac and MBP. The Macbooks do not have any recording software on the except Garageband which does work well. I would look at the fact that since Logic is demo'd at the Apple store on only Macs with a dedicated GPU one would think it doesn't run well on a Macbook.

Here are Logic's system requirements although I would recommend dropping by an Apple store and asking them.

thanks HLdan! :cool:

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007

Looking at that, a MacBook should have no problems at all. I doubt a graphics card makes a difference for recording. Thanks for help guys.

Thetics

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
2.16 MPB with 2 gigs of ram. recording in Pro tools or logic, roughly 6-8 tracks at a time with no problems whatsoever.

2.4 MB (black ;) ) 2 gigs of ram, same.... you shouldnt have any problems.. these programs have been around for a loooong loooong time. its just about having a system thats optimized, read the manuals, turn off the features they ask you to. turning off spotlight, dashboard, spaces and all that will help A lot.

dtklamf

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
2.16 MPB with 2 gigs of ram. recording in Pro tools or logic, roughly 6-8 tracks at a time with no problems whatsoever.

2.4 MB (black ;) ) 2 gigs of ram, same.... you shouldnt have any problems.. these programs have been around for a loooong loooong time. its just about having a system thats optimized, read the manuals, turn off the features they ask you to. turning off spotlight, dashboard, spaces and all that will help A lot.

yeah i'm the same I think it depends on amount of tracks and effects ect you have on but really I don't see any latency issues ect.i used to use it on a g4 powerbook with no problems at all.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
Bumping cause this is what I'm trying to find out too...

Does having only one firewire port cause problems when recording/using an external sound card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.