Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
im considering stripping down my black macbook, and replacing the casing with all white from parts on ebay...am i crazy?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I have a white macbook, and have been wanting black parts... maybe you and I can make a deal, because otherwise, you are going to spend a really long time, and a lot of money trying to do the transform via ebay.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Crazy ?

**** yeah!

I mean, what's the point of going into that much trouble for a color...and i'm not even mentionning the fact that the Blackbook look better (in my opinion).

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
:eek:OMG look at the crazy nut:eek:

Really you paid more for the blackbook because it was black.

I have a Black MacBook and I did not pay more for it because it was black. I got the refurbished 2.0GHz C2D with a 120GB Hard drive for $1149 Canadian. The White 2.0GHz C2D with an 80GB was $1099. For an extra $50 I got 40GB extra hard drive space plus the black casing.

Not all people who have a Black MacBook paid more just for the colour.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
:eek:OMG look at the crazy nut:eek:

Really you paid more for the blackbook because it was black.

Haha...not really.

$875 fully loaded. I am not afraid of taking apart and reassembling notebooks. Did it for a living pre-med school as a repair tech for sony, and asus. It is VERY easy....if you know what you are doing, and have good surgeons hands...(haha like I hope I have.)

Kwood - is your macbook Core 2 duo? Or just Core duo? It is a macbook or a macbook pro? Haha sorry..

hexagon

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
How about just replacing the keyboard/trackpad assembly and making a Macbook Oreo?

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Haha, that would be interesting...

I didn't purchase my macbook for color obviously. I actually like the white more. It seems more "apple" to me.

Kamikaze

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2006
Denver, Colorado
I'd do it. I was on the verge of sending mine to colorwarepc to get the gloss black and use my white keyboard so only the keys and touch pad would be white. Going for the tuxedo look. I have extra black cases, but I decided to pimp out my 12" PB instead.

Later:apple:

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I switched to Mac back in February. As much of a fanboy as I've become, one thing I'll never understand about Mac users is how much they care about what their computers look like.

With that said, I'd rather have a black one. Not because it "looks cooler", but because if I'm sitting in a dark space watching a movie, I don't want a glowing white screen surrounding it.

On the other hand, it's probably easier to see the keys while working in a dark space.

lucifix

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2006
you ARE insane, a little funny too.
i feel that the white scratches too easily so I recently got myself a black book :)

keep it that way, or use aluminium spray paint and turn it metallic :p
one of a kind!

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
I switched to Mac back in February. As much of a fanboy as I've become, one thing I'll never understand about Mac users is how much they care about what their computers look like.

With that said, I'd rather have a black one. Not because it "looks cooler", but because if I'm sitting in a dark space watching a movie, I don't want a glowing white screen surrounding it.

On the other hand, it's probably easier to see the keys while working in a dark space.

finally i found someone who thinks the same as me. you'd be amazed how many scratches and dents i have on my mbp lol - since i dont have any of those "notebook skin" or "keyboard condom" or whatever they call them. as long as it runs, pas de problème pour moi.

doesn't mean i don't like them Ferrari-colored mbp though. but it costs $500 bucks to do that. i say, what the heck!

lol

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Honestly, all the talk about what computers look like is what kept me from taking Mac users seriously for a long time. I might have switched years earlier, if not for this.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Honestly, all the talk about what computers look like is what kept me from taking Mac users seriously for a long time. I might have switched years earlier, if not for this.

What's the matter with wanting your computer to look a certain way? Obviously I already have a unit that I am very happy with in terms of power for me, so why not want something different, or something more in terms of how it looks to make me happy? So just because I want to change to white, I shouldn't be taken seriously because...what? I don't care about the insides, but just the outsides?

That's a broad generalization to me, because I want the best out of my computer, which I am on more than 10 hours a day...which is why it's configured the way it is. However, I wouldn't go for a bright yellow macbook because of it's looks...does that make me shallow or make me someone not to be taken seriously?

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
You do realize I was speaking in past tense, right?

Basically, yes. I was (again, past tense) turned off by Mac users because I figured they cared more about what their computer looked like than what it was capable of.

phuong

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
yes
i also dont understand why people wanted and demanded badly for a "ultrathin" laptop, even though they'd ultimately make it less thin by adding those "invisible shield" to it.
the mac laptops are already so thin.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I reckon don't strip the thing, just replace the screen bezel and keyboard with white parts, so it looks a bit like this;
asdfdzg1.jpg

Some guy has already started it; see it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.