Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Hello.

I'd like to know if there's an alternative software (even paid) to the free Blackmagic Disk Speed test I can get for my mac.
The reason I'd like a second test is that I sometimes experience weird behaviours with some SSDs, and this has been the same on different macs and different new SSDs I bought.
Specifically, I notice the read speed to be quite slower at the beginning, and it only reaches the speed it should after 6-7 tests.

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 03.59.30.png Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 03.59.56.png

Considering it's highly unlikely that the last 5 SSDS I bought (from different brands and stores, different standards and attached with different cables) are all malfunctioning in the same exact way, I'd like to test this thing with an other software and compare results.

The current SSD is a new Sabrent Rocket 1TB SSD attached via thunderbolt 3 with a high end alluminium enclosure.

Please only suggest software that's actively support and developed, not some apps that haven't been updated since 2014.

Thank you very much.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
BMDST is usually good, but only for sequential speed tests. Not really representative of real world disk usage for most tasks.

Amorphousdiskmark does both sequential and random speed tests making it much better to use to for real world usage.

It is free and in the Mac App Store:

Reactions: JippaLippa

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
BMDST is usually good, but only for sequential speed tests. Not really representative of real world disk usage for most tasks.

Amorphousdiskmark does both sequential and random speed tests making it much better to use to for real world usage.

Thanks! I'll test it now and post the results

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2013

I'm not sure these performance are great...

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 08.07.17.png

It's not possible that I have been having weird performance on 5 SSDs, 3 types, from 2 different brands, purchased throughout 2 years, attached to different cables on 3 different computers on 2 operative systems...

Am I the unluckiest man alive?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'm not sure these performance are great...
I am unsure of what you were expecting, but those speeds are really good.

The Sequential read speeds were really fast, almost as fast as Apple's SSD speeds on the M1 Macs.

The sequential write speed might be a little on the slow side for a NVMe TB3 drive and definitely slower than Apple's SSD storage, but not bad.

The random speeds were really good as well. Both random read and write speeds are actually better than my M1 Mac Mini with Apple's 1TB storage.

Are you having any symptom of problems other than what you get sometimes on BMDST? If not, I wouldn't bother yourself with it and enjoy your speeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.