Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Went into my local O2 store today to see new 3G iphone in the flesh. When I first read that they changed the phone from gorgeous Aluminium to black plastic my first reaction was OMG first gen ipod nano scratchness. However on closer inspection the plastic back is very sexy. I know its gonna attract finger prints but so does the front. It appears to be made out of the same stuff the front 'home' button was made out of. Nice one!!! :)

I think its gonna wear quite well, given that my 1st gen has no case, lives in my pocket and not a mark on 'home' button ;). Yeah no ugly case for me!!

Oh and holding up my 1st gen next to it, looks thinner :eek: (even though its technically not). My faith in apple design is restored ;)

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
i was also pleasantly surprised when i saw the black plastic in person; it compares very favourably with the aluminium.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Good to hear. I was worried about it to be honest

I am glad to hear it isn't as bad some thought it would be

I will be excited to get it soon enough

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I was so surprised at how sleek and good it felt in my hand. I find myself just picking it up to feel it every once in a while. The plastic shouldn't turn anyone away. If I didn't know it was plastic I wouldn't know what it is. Flows very nice with the rest of the phone in black.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Only had mine for about 26 hour at this point, but so far I'm thrilled with it. I always liked the look as the original, but this one is just as nice. It's just different.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I think the black gloss plastic in combination with the silver accents makes it look a bit cheap. It's not horrible, but certainly doesn't look as good as my old one (in my eyes). But hey, I didn't get it to stare at it. The 3G speed is what I was really after and I've been happy with that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.