Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mymindisempty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
My M1 mac mini (16 GB) has been running smoothly since it arrived in early 2021 until the latest MacOS update (12.5 I think), which I installed recently. Something must have gone wrong during the installation, because now things has gone black.

The Mac mini seems to boot up normally and shows the login screen. All my usual accounts (2 of them) are there and when I login to either of the two accounts, all that happens is the screen goes black and the mouse cursor shows. I’ve tried a different HDMI cable but that clearly wasn’t it.

So I booted into Internet Recovery on the M1. Safe Mode didn’t make any difference (same result). Then, I tried Disk Utility and checked/repaired the volume. There weren’t any problems found. Then I tried to reinstall MacOS but the setup says that no Administrator accounts were found, even though my usual account is an administrator account. I’ve tried this multiple times (before/after running the Disk Utility in Recovery Mode).

I thought it might be a Filevault thing so I’ve tried disabling/unlocking it in the Recovery assistant via the Terminal but that didn’t help tracking down my Admin account.

Some websites suggest trying to create a new Admin account, but I haven’t found a good guide for the Apple Silicon era. Also, the problem is that it goes dark after login so why would the setup assistent show to create a new account? I mean, I think the the assistent should show anyway because I just updated to 12.5 and it clearly isn’t….

I’d prefer not having to wipe everything as I have the unfortunate problem of my NAS being repaired (the fan broke down) and not having a Time Machine back-up on hand at the moment (hopefully I could restore one later this month if that’s the only way).

Does anyone have any pointers on how to proceed?

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I suspect your admin account was corrupted and that prevents you from logging into a standard account.
Since you are running FileVault, only an admin ID can unlock that drive to recover it from the Recovery Utilities.

You might be able to do a fresh install; it will likely ask you to do an iCloud authentication with the Admin account.

Do you have another Mac to use Recovery Assistant to restore the Mac completely? That would be the fastest. If not, you're due for a trip to the Apple Genius Bar.

You do have a backup, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.