Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Titanite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Hello, I have a 15” MBP (Mid 2012). I had the screen go black so I disconnected the battery, and the screen cable (to hook up with HDMI+power to see if I could get it to boot with an external monitor, it did). I hooked up the screen cable and battery and when I booted, the laptop screen was working again. That lasted about two days and I got the black screen again. Can anyone help me with what is causing this black screen issue? Thank you in advance!

Titanite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Replace the screen cable?
Replace the screen cable?
Both times the screen has gone black, it’s been sitting on a desk and without moving the screen, it’s died. I would have thought opening or closing it would disturb a bad cable causing the issue, but not 100% sure which is why I’m asking. Is this a common trait of a bad cable? I just removed the back cover, pulled the battery terminal off, plugged it back in, replaced rear cover and it fired up again as normal. Still the screen cable? I appreciate the help!

Titanite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Both times the screen has gone black, it’s been sitting on a desk and without moving the screen, it’s died. I would have thought opening or closing it would disturb a bad cable causing the issue, but not 100% sure which is why I’m asking. Is this a common trait of a bad cable? I just removed the back cover, pulled the battery terminal off, plugged it back in, replaced rear cover and it fired up again as normal. Still the screen cable? I appreciate the help!
Scrap that, it made it less than 5 minutes and went black again. I’m going to try replacing the cable

Titanite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024

Titanite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Could a failing battery cause this issue? I replaced the original battery in 2021. It’s down to 51% capacity and I have a service battery message.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Possibly .. but if you are connected to AC power, I would think not... but possibly ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Titanite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Hmm, Im going to disconnect the screen and leave it connected to an external HDMI screen and see if it will run. If it’s battery related I should see a similar symptom. If not, maybe it’s something g else screen related. If that’s the case I think it will run as a media server with an external HDMI.

If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!
Thank you again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.