Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maksovnik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
Hi everyone, trying to get my RTX 580 working with my Mac Pro 5,1. I've used OpenCore to install Sonoma. The install via OpenCore was originally done with the old Nvidia GPU attached. I installed the Sonoma OS installer onto a USB drive and then OpenCore onto the SSD (the same SSD I later used as the drive for Sonoma, I wonder if this overwrite some OpenCore config?)

After installing Sonoma (which worked fine, but note I never actually got any popup message after the
install or any choice to install root patches, they seem to have been just already installed) I rebooted and swapped the GPU for the new RTX 580, I got the standard OpenCore boot screen and the OS starts to load. When the progress bar reaches around 35% the screen goes black and remains black. I've tried swapping back to the original GPU, then booting back into Sonoma and reverting root patches, however this hasn't seemed to fix the issue.

Also notably when changing the setting "Show OpenCore Boot Picker" to disabled and rebooting it seems to have enabled itself again (and the boot menu still showed without holding the escape key). I wonder if the settings in the Sonoma GUI are not applying and the root patches aren't being reverted?

Any help, insight or similar experiences will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Maks

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
Hi everyone, trying to get my RTX 580 working with my Mac Pro 5,1. I've used OpenCore to install Sonoma. The install via OpenCore was originally done with the old Nvidia GPU attached. I installed the Sonoma OS installer onto a USB drive and then OpenCore onto the SSD (the same SSD I later used as the drive for Sonoma, I wonder if this overwrite some OpenCore config?)

After installing Sonoma (which worked fine, but note I never actually got any popup message after the
install or any choice to install root patches, they seem to have been just already installed) I rebooted and swapped the GPU for the new RTX 580, I got the standard OpenCore boot screen and the OS starts to load. When the progress bar reaches around 35% the screen goes black and remains black. I've tried swapping back to the original GPU, then booting back into Sonoma and reverting root patches, however this hasn't seemed to fix the issue.

Also notably when changing the setting "Show OpenCore Boot Picker" to disabled and rebooting it seems to have enabled itself again (and the boot menu still showed without holding the escape key). I wonder if the settings in the Sonoma GUI are not applying and the root patches aren't being reverted?

Any help, insight or similar experiences will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Maks
You need to apply root patches with the RX580 installed. The process is to boot Sonoma - uninstall root patches - install the RX580 - and then apply root patches so the RX580 will work.

maksovnik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 20, 2024
You need to apply root patches with the RX580 installed. The process is to boot Sonoma - uninstall root patches - install the RX580 - and then apply root patches so the RX580 will work.
That makes sense, the only issue is how can I install the root patches with the RX580 installed if I can't boot into Sonoma with the RX580 installed (without the black screen during OS load)? Thanks

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
If you can't see anything with the RX580 installed then perhaps you have a mining card bought second hand and need to reflash the original stock bios.

You should be able to boot Sonoma with the old graphics card and remove the root patches. Sonoma should boot with the RX580 but will have messed up display. On my system the colors would be wildly off but I could still read the text and apply the root patches. But if your RX580 bios was replaced for mining then you need to fix that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.