Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TravisReynolds

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle
will this speed up my iPhoto.

I love iPhoto, but i HATE IT. I got 1GB of ram, and everytime iPhoto opens up it slows down EVERYTHING.. i got about 4K photo's, is this because I don't have enough ram or what?

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
there is a potential i'll do some video editing with the macbook, so the 4 gb would be great. i think given the relatively cheap price of maxing out your macbook in terms of ram from a third party vendor, it makes no sense not to invest. put it this way, it can't hurt.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
there is a potential i'll do some video editing with the macbook, so the 4 gb would be great. i think given the relatively cheap price of maxing out your macbook in terms of ram from a third party vendor, it makes no sense not to invest. put it this way, it can't hurt.

Sounds like a plan - and if you're going to CPU-intensive stuff like editing, maxing you ram is a good pan :D

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
not so fast.....

actually i've decided to not upgrade the ram and instead purchase the newest black macbook which comes with 2gb of ram already. what happened was, newegg had a great deal for the previous blackbook model for $1200 a few days back. that included no tax and something like $5 for shipping. a great deal.

then, to my dismay, the laptop was no longer available on newegg starting today. must have sold out. i tried my best to find a discounted older model black macbook new, with my only solace being a website that had new ones for $1300, plus shipping, totaling $1320.

Amazon is selling the latest model black macbook at $1394 (that price after a rebate offered on their site).

i figure i can get the latest model, see how 2gb of ram suits me, and if i want to upgrade in the future, do so.

quick question: how does one track the usage of their ram on their macbook? a previous post mentioned keeping an eye on your ram usage.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
actually i've decided to not upgrade the ram and instead purchase the newest black macbook which comes with 2gb of ram already. what happened was, newegg had a great deal for the previous blackbook model for $1200 a few days back. that included no tax and something like $5 for shipping. a great deal.

then, to my dismay, the laptop was no longer available on newegg starting today. must have sold out. i tried my best to find a discounted older model black macbook new, with my only solace being a website that had new ones for $1300, plus shipping, totaling $1320.

Amazon is selling the latest model black macbook at $1394 (that price after a rebate offered on their site).

i figure i can get the latest model, see how 2gb of ram suits me, and if i want to upgrade in the future, do so.

quick question: how does one track the usage of their ram on their macbook? a previous post mentioned keeping an eye on your ram usage.

Good thinking. Get the most MB that you can and ram up later. I use menumeters to keep an eye on my ram... keeps it in the menu bar. Good luck to you.

Ra226

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Sunny Socal
4 gig, 4 gig, 4 gig, even if you dont notice the difference, you know secretly that its there. i dont know how 2 gig feels... i went from 1 gig to 4 gig, and i think my blackbook appreciates it 10x more. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.