Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Ok so all you blackbook owners out there I really need your thoughts and opinions. I have a 12 inch ibook g4 right now 40gig HD 512mb of ram. And although I do love this little sucker, its super slow lately, and I only have 2 more gigs of hard drive space left. I do have an external and I thought of putting all my music onto that, but the problem is when I play my music from my external hard drive, it automaticaly saves it in itunes. So either way it ends up back on my dinky ibook hard drive. Maybe there is a setting to fix this i dont know, but it wouldnt help much anyway because i sync my ipod regularly so what good is my music on my external?

So back to the reason for this thread, I would just really like to know if you blackbook owners are happy with your machines. Do you have the cracking case problems? Thats really my biggest and probably only concern. I dont want to spend 1400 on this computer then have to take it in for repair. I know there are plenty of cracking white macbooks. But i dont hear much about the black ones? Also would you guys recomend waiting with the possibility of the alum macbooks coming? But then theres the rev A. problem. And ill have to wait even longer and run a bigger risk of getting a bunk machine. What to do, what to do?? :confused:

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
I've had mine for about 4 months. There has not been any cracking problems whatsoever and i'm extremely happy with the purchase. Quite a tricky time to be buying a macbook with all the rumors floating around :) Although the current ones are perfectly capable machines (unless you want to do anything graphic intensive, in which case you should not be looking at macbook in the first place!!), I would suggest that you wait for the refresh if your iBook can hang on for a while. It would absolutely stink if they came out with new models 3-4 weeks after you purchase one! As far as rev A defects are concerned, just hold off buying the new ones for a week or so, if you see too many complains popping up on forums, you might still be able pick up the current generation at good 10~15% discount on clear out sale on amazon or apple store.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
I have never had any problems with mine...the only issue is the super smudeable case. I say go for it...you shall be happy

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Love my blackbook, other than the unit gets uncomfortably warm so I need to use the iLap, it's great. I'd be wary of the aluminum rumors if it's true. Go with what works today.

Victor ch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
San José, Costa Rica
Do it.

Hi,

I bought my baby (thats what i call her hehe) back in december 06' and has easy enough been running every single day since then, with NOT one problem. I moved from a 12" PowerBook and thought that nothing would be as good, but this little sucker its amazing. BTW I have rev.B and in the almost a year of life has never ever failed physically and has even fell from a desk (inside the back pack) and its still running. I will say there is one little problem but seems to me that has been fixed with the current rev.C, thats that from excessive use/abuse the black matte paint might be scratched off, in my case just in the right border, since there's where my hand rests and is BARELY noticeable, i've seen rev.A severely scratched off and rev.B that have been really abused and not taken care off (my moms/sister blackbook same as mine) that doesn't show this issue.
Anyway its your decision, i took the plunge and don't regret at all, and rev.C its only better than mine and has a larger HDD-160GB!!! thats a lot honestly. And the gig of ram is sweet. Excellent machine. Truly, just not superb for hardcore 3D but I still take Final Cut Express and do cool vids and play unreal with everything to the top and runs smoothly, its just hardcore 3D advanced animations that would be too much, but its still better than your past iBook. Hope this mild review was of use.:):apple:

-Victor

innocentsheep

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2007
I got my Blackbook in mid-April [sweet 16 present. woo!], and it's perfect.
No cracking case whatsoever. It did get oily when I first got it though, not so much now [no idea why though].

Moreover, I've done a lot of traveling with this computer in a short time. It's gone through security 7 times [in 4 countries], been on 9 planes, survived two 2-day road trips, and will soon embark on another road trip to Seville, Spain. The only form of protection I've used for it on every trip is an Incase neoprene sleeve and my regular school backpack.

The thing's tough, I wouldn't worry about it so much.
Get the computer if you really need it. You won't regret it.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
No issues with my case cracking (knock on wood). So far both blackbooks I've owned have treated me well. I handed down my other blackbook to my sister but her school ended up giving her a MBP so she has 2 Macs now :eek:.

Again, no issues with case, overheating, screen, etc (knocks on wood). If you are concerned, may I suggest a refurbished blackbook as if it did have a problem, Apple repaired/replaced whatever the problem and it went through quality control twice. My friend just purchased and received a refurbished white Macbook and it looks new. I'll be getting refurbs from now on. :D:apple:

anothermacaddic

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
5 months i had a bb, upgraded from a 12 in pb. Was concerned about being too big then, now I slightly wish I would have upped to the 15 mbp. Had one battery die early, but apple replaced instore with no hassle. Daily use, even gaming. Enough hd space even with a 20gig windows partition. Love the glossy, NEEDS a little extra waxing care every couple weeks and marware wrist wrest and black trackpad cover.

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
I've had mine since september, last year. No problems whatsoever. It's one of the CD versions, but with a build date *after* the 'reset problems'.

Very pleased.

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
I was originally going to get a white one, but I got the black one because I got a great price on it, they were clearing it out. I thought I would regret getting the black but haven't looked back since. I bought the Marware wrist rest, and that works really well. It does get a few smudges but really not a big deal.

I haven't had any issues with it at all, knock on wood, and I have had it since May.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.