Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi Guys,

Need your help and advice.

I bought my Blackbook just over 6 months ago. It was a refurb unit though looked brand new. Anyway. After about 4-5months, the screen started flickering. On the brightest setting it flickered really subtly. But once I noticed it, it bugged me. So I called Apple and sent it to an authorised dealer. Nearly two weeks later they call to say that it took them all this time to replicate the problem (even though it did it quite regularly for me) - it was the inverter board. They replaced it and sent it back to me.

2 weeks after having it back, the problem starts again. So I call Apple and send it back to the same people. They had it for two weeks, got it back today. They wasn't able to replicate the problem so therefore made no repairs or did anything to it. I haven't had chance to use it yet but I know for a fact as soon as I turn it on it will start flickering.

The guys who were testing it said if I can get a video of it doing it (when it does the subtle flickering, turning the brightness down to the last but notch shows it much more prominently - flickering from very dim to to very bright) and send it then that can show them that there is something wrong and then I can send it back and they can start replacing parts.

I am a little annoyed since they have already seen the problem, replaced something and that has not solved it. Now they are saying they can't replace anything else without seeing the problem again.

I called Trading Standards (I am in the UK) and they said that because I have had the computer for more than 6 months, its up to me to prove that there is a problem if they cannot replicate the problem. She suggested getting an independant qualified computer technician to see the problem and then write to Apple on my behalf saying they have seen the problem etc etc.

What do you guys think? Am getting a little pissed that essentially, if they cannot see this problem again in their workshop, its never going to get fixed. The problem is intermittent so even if I was there with them it could be a couple of hours before it started doing it. I feel like they are accusing me of making it up sometimes.

Thanks in advance.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Wow. Mine has started doing that too, but it's an original CoreDuo Blackbook with a lot of wear and tear on it, so I just deal with it. It comes and goes, and I almost don't even notice it anymore, but I would love to make it go away.

Darn it. Should have gotten AppleCare. Oh well.

Anyone have any ideas how much it would cost to fix the problem on time and materials?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.