Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Hi

Just got my Blackbook, but when I startup my computer the light indicater lights and then the screen wakes up! Why does my screen sleeps at startup? I've tjeck'ed the preferences in "screen" but can't see anything wrong?...

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
You saying that when you press the power button to intially turn on the Macbook it starts up and is automatically sleeping? Then you have to press power again to wake it? I'm just trying to understand. I know when it sits for a while and goes to sleep eventually you have to press power to wake it but it shouldnt start up sleeping. If it is doing that I would check your EFI firmware version, AKA boot rom. See if it needs any update. Usually you can update it through the normal software update module. If still not luck, sounds like its time to take a trip to the Apple store.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
You saying that when you press the power button to intially turn on the Macbook it starts up and is automatically sleeping? Then you have to press power again to wake it? I'm just trying to understand. I know when it sits for a while and goes to sleep eventually you have to press power to wake it but it shouldnt start up sleeping. If it is doing that I would check your EFI firmware version, AKA boot rom. See if it needs any update. Usually you can update it through the normal software update module. If still not luck, sounds like its time to take a trip to the Apple store.

No, what I mean is; When I turn the macbook on (not from sleep) the indicator starts to light for 2 sec and the the screen turns on.

It's pretty much it ;) - But what does it mean?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
That could be several things...

going on, but I suggest:

1. Make sure it's plugged in.
2. Press the Power button and hold down the Command button, Option button, P button, and the R button at the same time, until you hear the Startup Sound a 2nd time, release and you should be good to go. This resets your PRAM or your perameter RAM.
3. You can also disconnect the power adapter, remove the battery and holding down the power button for at least 5 seconds, this resets the computer to its factory settings.

If these fail, check with Apple Support over the phone or stop-by the nearest Apple Store. Good Luck. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.