Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joeyboun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
I'm gonna go out on a limb and hope for the best here, so this is my dilemma. I have bought an iPhone 6 off craigslist that happens to have been blacklisted (zero chances of contacting seller for refund or explanation) My previous phone was an 1phone 5 on AT&T and used net10, my current iPhone 6 also on AT&T worked on net10 for a few hours using the same SIM card until net10/att blocked my phone from the cellular network "most likely because the phone finally processed through the network towers and sent a message to block the phone" now I'm left with a blacklisted iPhone 6 with no other phone to use and still a whole month on my prepaid cycle, my firmware that I'm on is 9.2 and was wondering if anyone knew what I could do to still use my new phone with my existing net10 service, like waiting for a jilbreak release to unlock my phone, factory unlock, RSim, anything please and btw I've went into AT&T and they couldn't do anything "hoped they would've unlisted the phone" thanks and hope for quick and useful feedback!

Jetro

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2016
I was going to say if it was for nonpayment you could switch it over to cricket which AT&T owns and keep it on that. Supposedly for nonpayment they lock it down to being used directly with them only. For stolen phones the guy must've used his insurance. There needs to be some laws for insurance fraud with phones. You can list it on eBay as bad imei and get some money for it. It should still work overseas. Get a cheap little gophone to use out the rest of your net10 service until you get money back from it to get a legit one.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Joeyboun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
That's everything I wanted to avoid haha thanks though I appreciate it

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can't bypass an imei blacklist. Not with a jb hack, no imei unlock no gevey or anything can do it besides the original owner contacting the carrier to have it white listed again.
It cannot be used in the US any more.
Sell it as is and buy one that works on your carrier.
If your blacklisted iPhone gets imei unlocked it can be used outside the us with any international GSM carrier.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…like waiting for a jilbreak release to unlock my phone…
Well, I can tell you that you can totally forget about this.

Software unlocks via jailbreak died in 2011 when it simply became easier to pay an unlock company $1 to unlock your device.

On top of that you needed a 4s or below for any of that to work.

Finally, a factory unlock is not going to help you. If the device is blacklisted the IMEI won't be inserted into the unlock database - because it's blacklisted.

Gevey or R-SIM are your only options.

Joeyboun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
By any chance can anybody clarify the unknown label on this blacklist for this phone. Site used is IMEIdata.net

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,368

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
By any chance can anybody clarify the unknown label on this blacklist for this phone. Site used is IMEIdata.net
I'd say the UNKNOWN is because the phone was never on those carriers and thus never entered into their blacklist database. Sprint, in particular does not keep track of non-Sprint IMEIs.

You can expect though that since the phone is blacklisted on MetroPCS that T-Mobile would blacklist it as well. T-Mobile owns MetroPCS. The same with AT&T and Cricket as AT&T owns Cricket.

Joeyboun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2016
Thanks I appreciate the help, learned my lesson buying an iPhone 6 for 200$

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Your problem was not checking imei status. Even if the phone was $400 you would still be in the same boat, except financially worse.
People should always check that when buying. Also beware some sell phone first then blacklist after, so get as much contact information as you can. If the deal seems too good there is usually a reason, think twice.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
People should always check that when buying. Also beware some sell phone first then blacklist after, so get as much contact information as you can. If the deal seems too good there is usually a reason, think twice.

Yep, I've been burned by this. I bought a phone off CL (never again). Phone was ok on every carrier. About 3 months later it was blacklisted and the seller wasn't responding. I sold it for parts.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Yep, I've been burned by this. I bought a phone off CL (never again). Phone was ok on every carrier. About 3 months later it was blacklisted and the seller wasn't responding. I sold it for parts.

I never buy Tmobile phones off Craigslist, just stick to Verizon phones and unlocked att phones only. I resell phones so even if the unlocked phone was blacklisted I just send it to someone abroad.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
After reading all of this - one thing is not clear to me:

Is this discussion about phones that were originally purchased locked, from carriers and on contract - so the phone company has records of that phone originally on their network?

Or are we talking phones that were bought outright, fully unlocked from a cell hardware company - and you can phone any of the phone companies, just say this phone of your own is stolen and you want it blacklisted - even if the phone is not from them, you've never been on contract etc?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
After reading all of this - one thing is not clear to me:

Is this discussion about phones that were originally purchased locked, from carriers and on contract - so the phone company has records of that phone originally on their network?

Or are we talking phones that were bought outright, fully unlocked from a cell hardware company - and you can phone any of the phone companies, just say this phone of your own is stolen and you want it blacklisted - even if the phone is not from them, you've never been on contract etc?

Its more of a US thing.
Sounds like you're from another country so everything seems a little complicated.
No the phone in question is not a factory unlocked full priced iphone. If it was then the user would not be able to have it locked or blacklisted.
Those devices were bought under contract most likely either by making payments on it for anywhere between 20 to 30 month installments.
Where the original owner gets the device and makes 1 month's payment of $20-25 and then turns around and sells it for $500 and then stops paying for it. Then the unsuspecting buyer having no idea what happened a few weeks later gets his phone blacklisted and useless on any carrier in the US.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Its more of a US thing.
Sounds like you're from another country so everything seems a little complicated.
No the phone in question is not a factory unlocked full priced iphone. If it was then the user would not be able to have it locked or blacklisted.
Those devices were bought under contract most likely either by making payments on it for anywhere between 20 to 30 month installments.
Where the original owner gets the device and makes 1 month's payment of $20-25 and then turns around and sells it for $500 and then stops paying for it. Then the unsuspecting buyer having no idea what happened a few weeks later gets his phone blacklisted and useless on any carrier in the US.

Thanks - ok that makes total sense.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
Can you use such a phone as an ipod with a nicer camera and still get on the internet etc.. Via wifi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.