Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eurogreek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
I recently purchased an iPhone 8 256gb from Craig’s List (1st mistake). It was brand new thinking it’s good and not checking the imei number (2nd mistake). Tried activating it, and of course it doesn’t work. Called AT&T and after reviewing everything, the guy who sold me the phone got it off of an insurance claim which he claimed he never received. After the guy claimed to Asirion (AT&T insurance) he never received it, they sent him a new one which I’m assuming he is using. The one he sold me then became blacklisted through Asirion which is now junk. All of this was confirmed with AT&T. I called Asirion and they don’t do internal fraud cases because they blacklist phones now.

Called the guy who now says he never sold me a phone. Then he said he never sold me a blacklisted phone. Then he changed his story again. After telling him the fact of what he did, he told me he’s going to call the police for threats because I asked for my money back. I will be going to the police today to file a report.

It really sucks but it’s a risk of dealing with Craig’s list. Lesson learned that’s for sure.

SuperZay'N

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2017
dude why would you not check the imei, always always always go to the carrier store and have them activate it. because when you do it in store there is record of you exchanging money and phone in the store on camera and employees can say the same. this is all your fault, there is nothing you can do. chalk it up as a loss and keep it moving. you are the one to blame for your carelessness

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
If you buy a phone off Craigslist, always do the transaction in the carrier store.

This.

Also, buying a phone on Craigslist is not inherently bad - you just have to be careful and check everything before you hand the cash over.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
This is a really ****** situation, sorry to hear OP. I would definitely go to the police. Could be worth telling the seller again what you're planning to do and give him one last chance.

Do you have any other information from the seller? Maybe his license plate? Email? He may be using a Google Voice number for instance in which case it would be nearly impossible to trace.

What I recommend you do next time is open the phone and make sure it works with your SIM card and that you can sign into it. Lots of people are fooled by it being in shrink wrap that it's fine, but it's easy to re-shrinkwrap packages.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Was the price of the phone a really good deal? Did you think "man, this guy is an idiot for selling so cheap". You took a gamble and it failed.

File a police report. Nothing you can do to unlock the phone I'm afraid.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Hate it for you OP. Always check those things before you hand over your cash. It’s BS people scam people like this.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Dumb question but is it safe to go to the Apple Store and have them confirm instead of a carrier store? Because the Apple Store can also run diagnostics and even determine battery capacity.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Dumb question but is it safe to go to the Apple Store and have them confirm instead of a carrier store? Because the Apple Store can also run diagnostics and even determine battery capacity.

I don’t think they would get involved to be honest. Just check the IMEI to make sure the phone is not blacklisted or on a carrier finance plan.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I recently purchased an iPhone 8 256gb from Craig’s List (1st mistake). It was brand new thinking it’s good and not checking the imei number (2nd mistake). Tried activating it, and of course it doesn’t work. Called AT&T and after reviewing everything, the guy who sold me the phone got it off of an insurance claim which he claimed he never received. After the guy claimed to Asirion (AT&T insurance) he never received it, they sent him a new one which I’m assuming he is using. The one he sold me then became blacklisted through Asirion which is now junk. All of this was confirmed with AT&T. I called Asirion and they don’t do internal fraud cases because they blacklist phones now.

Called the guy who now says he never sold me a phone. Then he said he never sold me a blacklisted phone. Then he changed his story again. After telling him the fact of what he did, he told me he’s going to call the police for threats because I asked for my money back. I will be going to the police today to file a report.

It really sucks but it’s a risk of dealing with Craig’s list. Lesson learned that’s for sure.

That's an unfortunate situation. I will slightly reiterate what others have said, but give the Police as much information as you can and if you have any further contact with this individual who sold you the phone, make sure you document everything for investigative purposes.

Reactions: KONVICTED

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It not not serious enough for the police to take action. You will, in the end, have to take the person to court and prove he sold you the phone. While that should not be hard the costs for the lawyer and fees for th court will make the whole thing not worth it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It not not serious enough for the police to take action. You will, in the end, have to take the person to court and prove he sold you the phone. While that should not be hard the costs for the lawyer and fees for th court will make the whole thing not worth it.

I dont know about that.
If he has the persons info that defrauded him then the police will have to take action.
Depending if you live in a big city then it could be left on the back burner for a while.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I dont know about that.
If he has the persons info that defrauded him then the police will have to take action.
Depending if you live in a big city then it could be left on the back burner for a while.

I live in Jacksonville and the most they would do is file a report for you to take with you. It would be the buyers burden to prove the seller sold him a blacklisted phone. This would not be hard to do but not worth it in the end.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014

This is why you should use eBay and Paypal as you can easily get a refund as Paypal/eBay almost always side with the customer. Thats the only place i buy items that I deem quite high value. Cause i know i have buyer protection.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It not not serious enough for the police to take action.

Completely disagree and that's a broad stroked statement. This is a criminal action case that occurred. There was a crime committed and a victim. And law-enforcement has to act on it, rather how much time they invest into this incident, is solely up to them. But they cannot and will not turn this away for the sake of nothing. If the OP and or victim makes a written statement, a formal complaint is filed, which requires for it to be investigated.

I live in Jacksonville and the most they would do is file a report for you to take with you.

Every Police department is different, but that doesn't mean the Police can turn this way in the sense that a crime was not committed. Regardless if it is civil somewhat , this requires a fraud report to be documented for the sake of court purposes anyway, so the police have to take some action to prove the complainant was involved in criminal action. Especially given if the complainant wants to file a Police report given the circumstances.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Sell it on ebay as brand new but blacklisted. You will likely get an overseas buyer, as blacklisted phones in the US can work overseas, from what I've read. Make sure you set bidder requirements...no zero feedback, no negative feedback, etc. Cancel any bids from people that seem shady. Make sure its an auction, not buy it now, otherwise you will have no control over who bids.

If you get a reliable bidder and a fair price, it might be cheaper than chasing the jerk who sold it to you.

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL

Bet practice. Go to a carrier corporate location to meet up to make sure all is legit.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I live in Jacksonville and the most they would do is file a report for you to take with you. It would be the buyers burden to prove the seller sold him a blacklisted phone. This would not be hard to do but not worth it in the end.

Maybe because I live in a smaller town and here cops actually try to help I guess :)
But yes he wont have a problem proving that he sold him stolen/blacklisted property while committing insurance fraud at the same time.
Even if the local police dont want to prosecute with criminal charges for small claims court you do not need to hire a lawyer or spend much money. Why wouldnt it be worth it? If everyone just gave up and did nothing after a crime has been committed against them then we would live in a lawless society that crime pays and there's no punishment for such illegal activity.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Maybe because I live in a smaller town and here cops actually try to help I guess :)
But yes he wont have a problem proving that he sold him stolen/blacklisted property while committing insurance fraud at the same time.
Even if the local police dont want to prosecute with criminal charges for small claims court you do not need to hire a lawyer or spend much money. Why wouldnt it be worth it? If everyone just gave up and did nothing after a crime has been committed against them then we would live in a lawless society that crime pays and there's no punishment for such illegal activity.

Paying more money or even close to make a point in court is not worth it. My company occasionally has to use the services of lawyer and if you have a good one he will tell you it is not worth the fight when applicable and when it is time to fight! A bad lawyer will take a case like this and want over $1000 just to file the papers and get a court date. Cost go way up if you find yourself sitting in court. When I think of the money and time, well it would not be worth it to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.