Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlb808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
Please help if know what might be going on,
Bought a Macpro 6,1 1TB SSD Computers with 64GB Ram, 12 Core 2.7Ghz XEON E5-2696 CPU with Dual GPU configurations. Was running fine but there were overheating issues occassionally. Upgraded the OS & havent been able to use since. Was continuously rebooting after login, progressively has gone to blackscreen, lights on, fan on, keyboard & mouse on. Have tested screen, used another screen - no display. Any help from experts greatly appreciated, nowhere to take it for repair- buying new system not an option.

mlb808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
was big sur to ventura I think. Didnt do any diagnostics or know how to on the overheating. would only happen every now n then. I'd just bought it, minimum use on it. bought it with an apple display n I'm suspect on the display as it was getting really hot ? display tested on another system and working.

mlb808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
overheating - to touch & fan on mac pro in overdrive without any workload in air con room well vented

mlb808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
thx! yes found that out too late n didnt think to check -fatal rookie error. the big sur os was completely wiped, I made a Catalina (went back to an older OS thinking be safer) boot drive but nothing happened. would you be kind enough to send link of correct instructions, I've missed something in the process.

mlb808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
all good thank you, will try

Boot disk still requires having to make selections - I have blackscreen, am I missing something ? can I make a usb big sur bootdisk that forces the system to boot from usb directly ?

Last edited:

mlb808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
all good thank you, will try

Boot disk still requires having to make selections - I have blackscreen, am I missing something ? can I make a usb big sur bootdisk that forces the system to boot from usb directly ?
Boot disk unsuccessful due to black screen- can I bypass the drive selection, any other way to reinstall bigsur?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Boot to Internet Recovery, nuke the disk and do a clean install. You can have issues if the SSD is not an AppleOEM anymore.

Since Internet Recovery will download the most recent macOS release that the MacPro6,1 firmware can run, it can download earlier releases.

So, you will need to install whatever Internet Recovery offers to you, login, do all the updates (this will also upgrade the MacPro6,1 BootROM automatically) and then try again.

A never updated MacPro6,1 still with Mavericks will need at least 3 or 4 Internet Recovery runs to get to Monterey (could be different depending on the current BootROM version, if the BootROM is as old as MP61.0120.B00 or something, Internet Recovery will do something like Mavericks to Sierra, Sierra to High Sierra, High Sierra to Catalina, Catalina to Monterey).

After you get to BootROM/System Firmware Version up to 481.0.0.0.0, you can install BigSur via createinstallmedia USB installer.

mlb808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
Boot to Internet Recovery, nuke the disk and do a clean install. You can have issues if the SSD is not an AppleOEM anymore.

Since Internet Recovery will download the most recent macOS release that the MacPro6,1 firmware can run, it can download earlier releases.

So, you will need to install whatever Internet Recovery offers to you, login, do all the updates (this will also upgrade the MacPro6,1 BootROM automatically) and then try again.

A never updated MacPro6,1 still with Mavericks will need at least 3 or 4 Internet Recovery runs to get to Monterey (could be different depending on the current BootROM version, if the BootROM is as old as MP61.0120.B00 or something, Internet Recovery will do something like Mavericks to Sierra, Sierra to High Sierra, High Sierra to Catalina, Catalina to Monterey).

After you get to BootROM/System Firmware Version up to 481.0.0.0.0, you can install BigSur via createinstallmedia USB installer.
Thank you Tsailex- bad internet where am. Will that bypass blackscreen?
created usb bootdisk 'bigsur' with opencore for 6,1, removed the ssd (SSUBX Model MZKPV1TOS/OA1) I cant get around the blackscreen for it to boot 1st without needing to select drive so then reinstall ssd to install to that.
Also thought of buying a dock for the ssd to install it on externally but nowhere sells for that (12 + 16 pin apple) ssd

The 6,1 purchased as an offline workstation apart from updates,apps,plugins required because of the location.

Last edited:

mlb808

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2024
how can I test my graphics card ? was told if holding down 'option' key on bootup didnt bring up a screen then its hardware, is this correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.