Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AutumnSkyline

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
So, yesterday, I was in computer class. One of the students in the class, well, he doesn't have the highest IQ lets just say. He was trying to save something onto a floppy (yeah, a floppy disk :rolleyes: ) it wasn't working on his workstation, so he moved to the one next to him. The teacher was trying to help him, but he wasn't hearing any of it. Basically what happened was, because floppies take so long so save, he kept trying to click out of word, and it wouldn't let him, he just kept clicking and was saying, " Stupid computers being stupid, what if I just break every computer in here" I glanced over, sighed, and promptly went back to listening to my iPod and surfing macrumors (okay okay, so we are not allowed on forums...per se, but I wasn't going to post anything, plus, the teacher and me have a normal student teacher relationship: I do my work, don't say much, occasionally a question, we talk about how we want at least a few Macs in the school to teach kids about a different operating system and such, I don't act out, I help others when she asks, yadda yadda.) back to surfing macrumors.

So the teacher tries with all of her might to tell him that it is his fault the computer is being stupid and not responding he replied, "No, it's the computer just bein stupid" he continues to click, not heeding her warnings. He then goes to a nothing computer AND DOES THE SAME THING!!!!! The teacher said, "Your confusing the computer by clicking too many times, calm down, be patient, you have to be patient" (I'm thinking, heh, I never have to be patient on my iMac : D)

Today, my sister was on myspace writing a message to one of her friends. She's typing on the laptop, and then she suddenly bursts out, "Stupid computer's being retarded!" Me being me I walked over and asked what's wrong. "The computer just f-in sent my message before I was done typing".....Blank stare..... "You pushed a button, not the computer's fault" "No, cuz even if I hit enter it wouldn't go" "You probably just hit the mouse on the send box "No, I was typing, my hand was near the mouse (keep in mind this is a laptop...although it may have appeared to her that it was the external mouse hooked up to it that I was referring to.)

Anybody else have experiences such as my own where people blame the computer for things they've done?

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Of course of course. People are always looking to deflect blame, and since computers crash as often as they do, and do stupid things as often as they do, they're an uber-convenient place to dismiss our own irresponsibility.

But, to be fun, a story to follow yours. So, in my classroom I have a wall of four computers that are all hooked into the same surge protector. A few weeks ago a student, to "have fun," turned off the surge protector while students were working on all four machines. Much of their work was lost, but the student who had caused the problem claimed the machines "had all just turned themselves off." Ridiculous, yes, but the lie was given because the student knew that our expectations for software and hardware reliability, even in 2007, remain decidedly tempered.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
<snip>
Anybody else have experiences such as my own where people blame the computer for things they've done?

I did this very frequently last term in my Graphics Design class. I would be in Illustrator using the pen tool, and I would try to make a shape by pulling anchor points all over the place. I would be mad becuase I never got the shape I wanted! I blamed the 'crappy Window's computers' that 'are too slow to do what I want.'
:rolleyes:

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Yes, I'm surrounded by idiots that always blame the computer. It's never the computer, unless the problem revolves around a hardware issue. Otherwise, it's either operator error or programmer error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.