Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
My 15" Titanium Powerbook can play DVDs ok, but when I insert a blank one to write onto, it spits it out after about 5 seconds.

Any advice?

Andy G

Applespider

macrumors G4
Check in System Profiler which DVD formats your Superdrive can write to (and if you have a Superdrive rather than a Combo one). It's probably only DVD-Rs (my 1.25 PB is) so make sure that your DVDs aren't +Rs

Other than that, buy good quality blanks. Sometimes the cheaper ones don't always work.

Andy G

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Thanks Applespider, you are absolutely correct. My drive indicates DVD-Rs only. I had no idea there were limitations to the different formats - I assumed that I could use rewritable DVDs, and borrowed a blank from our TV DVD recorder collection.

Better get to the shop . . .

Cheers!

(I had a horrible thought I'd need to replace my Superdrive!)

Andy G

Santaduck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Honolulu
Reminds me of a client who had this problem. Turned out he mixed up his PBs, and this ejection problem was happening to the PB that had a read-only DVD drive.

In other words, check out your System Profiler to confirm you can write DVDs.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
My new ibook does that too. You don't have a dvd burner, that's why. It has no need for the blank media so it spits it out.

p.s. my ibook it the last rev, obviously the one in my sig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.