Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Member2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
I recently spent several hours getting Windows (10, build 17763 LTSC) going on a circa-2012 MacBook Pro (the 15" "retina" model, if it matters) and eventually got through the DSDT disaster to get sound working, the Bluetooth rigmarole, the horrible "Boot Camp" software, and the Precision Trackpad Driver, but I'm left with a couple of issues that I'm hoping someone will have an answer for, now that I'm looking at a clean Device Manager.

It seems that every other cold boot (or so) leads to a blank screen with the mouse pointer. When this happens, I can still interact with the computer, log in blindly, and do anything, but it's thoroughly unhelpful to not be able to see. I have installed the latest Intel and Nvidia graphics drivers from their respective vendors' websites. The problem seems to have started around the time that I installed "Boot Camp" software, (standalone, without the other drivers that it tries to install, as that renders the computer unbootable) but that could've just been a coincidence. When I get the chance to replicate this next time, I will try to connect in through Remote Desktop when it is in that glitched state to see if I get any useful errors in Device Manager, but in the meantime, has anyone run into something like this before?

Member2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2013
I was ultimately able to solve this. I'm not entirely sure which of my many troubleshooting measures was the one that did it, but I think it was disabling the features that allows Windows to log in a user before he enters his password (to expedite the installation of updates and such). So, at least that problem is fixed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.