Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChronicLynx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2018
What blemish? It looks like oil and fingerprints. My Gold iPhone 14 Pro Max has those marks too when I take my case off and I just wipe it and goes away.
It's a real defect in the finish of the phone. It's not just dirt. You can have marks that wipe away, but this is something different.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
Yeah I don’t get it, chap has paid a premium price for a premium product that isn’t perfect, which to me isn’t acceptable.

JoeDezibel

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2021
May I ask in what store you did buy it? Maybe they sold you fake iPhones. My 14 Pro in dark violet is perfect.

Cancelled
Jan 7, 2017
Hi all, I have my third iphone 14 pro. I had purple, gold and now I have space black. Each of them had some kind of blemish/stain on frame. It did not come off after cleaning it with fingers or cloth. I asked for exchange. I tried different colors and every color had it. I am really angry. Now I have space black version and it has it, too. Is it normal? What should I do? Another replacement? Does anybody else have it? Phone is brand new, out of the box. Thanks for responses.
This palm grease or crud from your case. Buy the kind of wet wipes you would use to clean spectacles and move on…

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
As someone earlier pointed out, you can clearly see case marks around the volume buttons and silent switch, and round the speakers cutouts in the second photo too
Yep. There is zero chance the OP brought her phone back home in the box and opened it up in that state.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
I always have mixed feelings about issues like this. On the one hand, Apple likes to present itself and its products with an aura of perfection, and it charges dearly for the products, so Apple should deliver on this.

On the other hand, at the end of the day these are mass-produced phones with a limited lifespan, not future heirlooms. In a year this phone will be old news, and in five it is probably trash. How much time are you willing to spend on the hunt for a fleeting perfection, and in a few years when you look back, will you consider it time well spent?

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022
i think apple's qc this year is pretty bad...i dont have the same problem as OP but I've gone through 4 iPhone 14 pro max and all of them had problems....1st) had dust under the camera 2nd) exhibits screen discoloration/orange tint around the perimeter at 10% and below brightness 3rd) had a dead pixel (only visible with red colors tho) 4th) had a dead pixel (this time with blue colors). Also gone through 2 14 pros….1st) glass back was scratched out of the box 2nd) camera lens was scratched out of the box.
Apple’s quality control kinda sucks for the money they’re asking for these iPhones…
At this point im not sure if i should try once more or just wait for the 15s...
proof : , unfortunately i dont have a pic of the 3rd IP14PM cos i deleted them.

VeronikaK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2023
Hi all, so I got a replacement. It is finally fine. And apple reseller here in Slovakia has confirmed that Apple is having issues with coating on some units produced later last year.

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I have the silver 14 Pro Max and I noticed a slight line on the metal band, it looked like an antenna line but it wasn’t it was just a mark on the metal.

I presume to keep up with demand apple has likely lowered their QC for small imperfections like this to get the devices out the door, personally I slap a case on my device straight out of the box so it didn’t really bother me too much.

AGuerrav

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
Medellin, Colombia
Im having the same issue, its a color similar to the effect that you can see in gasoline with direct light sun, that its call a 'patina' and is easy remove with some cloth, is a thick layer that temporaly forms when you touch it and gets dirty, it shouldnt be a major situation.

Im form south america, in case i have an issue with my new phone its not possible to go to the closest apple store and return it, that is a constant worry for me.

Last edited:

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
I didn’t look over my 14 Pro when I got it. I do wonder if it had any cosmetic issues. I put Apple silicone cases on my iPhones and rarely take them out. Hope it’s fine for trading it in in a few years.

My iPhone 12 had a weird greasy looking spot on the frosted glass of the camera bump right out of the box. I decided to keep it and it got worse over time. Verizon didn’t care regarding the trade-in value. Also, I googled it and lots of 12s and 13s have the same issue.

I guess my biggest gripe is the stainless itself. Much prefer brushed aluminum.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
This is insanity. In the last few days I’ve gone through 3 different 14 pro max iPhones and they’ve all had visible imperfections on the steel band.

I usually don’t post complaints on forums but I’m glad I found this thread.

There’s gotta be something wrong with the latest batch coming out of the factory. So disappointing.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
This is insanity. In the last few days I’ve gone through 3 different 14 pro max iPhones and they’ve all had visible imperfections on the steel band.

There’s gotta be something wrong with the latest batch coming out of the factory. So disappointing.
Had this issue with 12PM and 13PM out of the box. Stainless steel frame was more than scratched. They were gouged. Fortunately unboxed it at the store and returned it on the 13PM - lesson learned.
On my iPhone 14 PM no issues. Neither with the one I recently purchased for my partner. Although her first device had a creaking display around the top left corner area region 😂

For me this years iPhone 14PM was near perfect and not exchanged unlike the previous two models.

Robot21

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2022

Gone through 4 14PM and fortunately they were scratch free but the last 2 had dead pixels(first 2 had dust under the camera and really nasty red tinted screens). Apple’s qc is really disappointing this year….debating if I should buy another one or just wait for the 15 at this point :/

Ememmm

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2023
i think apple's qc this year is pretty bad...i dont have the same problem as OP but I've gone through 4 iPhone 14 pro max and all of them had problems....1st) had dust under the camera 2nd) exhibits screen discoloration/orange tint around the perimeter at 10% and below brightness 3rd) had a dead pixel (only visible with red colors tho) 4th) had a dead pixel (this time with blue colors). Also gone through 2 14 pros….1st) glass back was scratched out of the box 2nd) camera lens was scratched out of the box.
Apple’s quality control kinda sucks for the money they’re asking for these iPhones…
At this point im not sure if i should try once more or just wait for the 15s...
proof : , unfortunately i dont have a pic of the 3rd IP14PM cos i deleted them.
Same issue here with scratch. Sadly, I notice it too late that my store warranty where I purchased it is lapsed already. May I know what you did to your phones? Did you return them or what? Is it worth going to apple physical sotre to use my apple warranty?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Same issue here with scratch. Sadly, I notice it too late that my store warranty where I purchased it is lapsed already. May I know what you did to your phones? Did you return them or what? Is it worth going to apple physical sotre to use my apple warranty?
I don’t believe you can use the manufacturers warranty on cosmetic damage.

Did you buy your phone brand new in a sealed box? You may have inadvertently caused the damage yourself given that you’ve been using it long enough to lapse the store warranty.

Ememmm

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2023

Did you buy your phone brand new in a sealed box? You may have inadvertently caused the damage yourself given that you’ve been using it long enough to lapse the store warranty.t

Did you buy your phone brand new in a sealed box? You may have inadvertently caused the damage yourself given that you’ve been using it long enough to lapse the store warranty.
The store warranty is only 7days. And I only used my phone everynight for an hour and keep it on a table since I worked on my mba and have an ipad too. And yes, i bought it brandnew sealed

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The store warranty is only 7days. And I only used my phone everynight for an hour and keep it on a table since I worked on my mba and have an ipad too. And yes, i bought it brandnew sealed
I honestly think you’d struggle progressing any kind of complaint.

The store warranty is irrelevant anyway as all issues go straight to the manufacturer. Apple won’t really deal with cosmetic damage on a phone that’s been used as it’s a “he said, she said” situation where it would be impossible to establish when/where the scratch occurred. I think you’ll just have to live with it unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.