Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I was just wondering if perhaps due to having the attention setting on, maybe Face ID had a minor delay or needed to read my face twice.

I guess I'm odd out here. I'm not worried as it only happened that once. I did read this article and I suppose under freak circumstances like Face ID submitting a double scan, it is possible to maybe see it.

I know I've seen mine a handful of times. People always say I can see/hear stuff that they can't hear. Been that way since I was a kid. If there's a high pitched noise or beep, I'll be the one complaining about it and no one else can hear it. Same for flashes of light, etc.

I know I've seen the pulsating red face-id lights. It's rare, but I've seen them - especially at night.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I use wildlife cameras that illuminate with infra-red LEDs and very often I have suspected some animals can detect the light. Look at this bunny, he knows the score. So I'm not scoffing at the OP's claim, because just as people have differing hearing ranges, why shouldn't some have greater optical sensitivity at the infra-red end of the spectrum?
Yes, different species have different sensitivities. Nocturnal animals will tend to have greater infra-red sensitivity, as it allows them to detect warm (living) objects in the dark - the very same capability you're using as a night photographer.

For a human, extended IR sensitivity falls into the range of genetic mutation. We evolved our particular vision abilities to suit our environment and needs - "seeing" heat is not necessarily beneficial to a species that lives/hunts/gathers in daylight, as using an IR camera at noontime on a hot day in a tropical zone will demonstrate.

As to "differing" hearing ranges... There is an upper limit on our ability to sense sound, based on the physical properties of our ears - the diameter and thickness of the tympanum, properties of the cell walls, etc. Most of the variability in human hearing has to do with damage that reduces our abilities rather than superior in-bred capabilities. Add to that sensory training that heightens our awareness of what we are hearing (or seeing, for that matter). I spent about 25 years in audio engineering (music and broadcasting). I can cite many examples of aging professional musicians with measured hearing loss who were able to detect fine nuances that less-well-trained people with "normal" hearing could not detect. Although their ability to detect those nuances was diminished, they were still able to recognize them and had the ability to place them in the proper perspective (for example, not boosting higher frequencies beyond what a person with "normal" hearing would find pleasant). This is a classic example of the mind compensating for the body's weaknesses.

As a one-off occurrence, this incident for the OP is not likely to be related to an in-bred ability to sense IR. If it was in-bred, there would be many other incidents involving not only the iPhone but a wide range of other IR-generating items like TV remote controls, alarm trip-beams, and the like.

We have a tendency to confuse correlation with causality. Correlation is only the first step towards determining causality. There are more steps needed to narrow down the actual cause.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
I know I've seen mine a handful of times. People always say I can see/hear stuff that they can't hear. Been that way since I was a kid. If there's a high pitched noise or beep, I'll be the one complaining about it and no one else can hear it. Same for flashes of light, etc.

I know I've seen the pulsating red face-id lights. It's rare, but I've seen them - especially at night.

I've seen the red blinking a few times but never thought anything of it. It was just when I saw all red for a split second I was curious. I had seen the blinking right before that.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've seen the red blinking a few times but never thought anything of it. It was just when I saw all red for a split second I was curious. I had seen the blinking right before that.

Can you see the light from IR remote controls when you push buttons on them? If you can see IR well that's pretty nifty; consider it a gift from nature. It's not something that will hurt you; enjoy it!

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Can you see the light from IR remote controls when you push buttons on them? If you can see IR well that's pretty nifty; consider it a gift from nature. It's not something that will hurt you; enjoy it!

I can see a very faint red light from my TV remote if I press buttons on it in complete darkness. Am I actually seeing IR or does the remote output some light that is visible?

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
I've never experienced seeing any sort of red light when I have picked up my iPhone to use it and Face ID immediately jumps into action.....ditto with my iPad that also has Face ID now, and I've been using Face ID since it first became available with the iPhone X. This red light thing sounds very odd; perhaps you have an unusual sensitivity to light? Or perhaps your WiFi or cellular data via your ISP is not all that strong or speedy and therefore there is a delay when Face ID kicks into gear? In any event this is not a common occurrence with Face ID.

what does internet have to do with FaceID?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
I can see a very faint red light from my TV remote if I press buttons on it in complete darkness. Am I actually seeing IR or does the remote output some light that is visible?

I can see that too. I'm wondering the same thing now. Perhaps to show it's still working? If not, I guess we're just unique/weird.

Reactions: 5105973

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

It's visible light; the dirt-cheap IR diodes they use in remotes are emitting a fairly broad range.
[automerge]1583698439[/automerge]
Yes, different species have different sensitivities. Nocturnal animals will tend to have greater infra-red sensitivity, as it allows them to detect warm (living) objects in the dark

There is a huge range of wavelengths we call infrared. The IR used by cheap night cameras and the IR used by Face ID are different from thermal IR and is not emitted (in any effective amount) by body heat. Those are very different phenomena.

dimitricook

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
If you have issues like headache or eye strain please fill in this survey!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve seen it on a few rare occasions on my iPhone Xr and iPhone X. Sometimes, very rarely, late at night on my 11 Pro I don’t see anything, but I get an odd sharp round after-image as if a concentrated light had shined into my eyes.

I’ve on a few occasions could have sworn Iseen the beam from the iris scanner on my old Samsung phone. And that one hurt not just my eyes but also my husband’s.

At least the Face ID light doesn’t cause that kind of pain. It does cause some dry gritty feeling if I use it too much like when I set up from new and have to authenticate a few accounts in a row. And using Animoji is really uncomfortable as well. Ordinary use is fine.

I definitely have seen the red beams from some of the old cameras and remotes we’ve had over the years. I always assumed everyone could see them. I’m talking really old ones. I don’t see anything out of anything I own currently.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
I’ve seen it on a few rare occasions on my iPhone Xr and iPhone X. Sometimes, very rarely, late at night on my 11 Pro I don’t see anything, but I get an odd sharp round after-image as if a concentrated light had shined into my eyes.

I’ve on a few occasions could have sworn Iseen the beam from the iris scanner on my old Samsung phone. And that one hurt not just my eyes but also my husband’s.

At least the Face ID light doesn’t cause that kind of pain. It does cause some dry gritty feeling if I use it too much like when I set up from new and have to authenticate a few accounts in a row. And using Animoji is really uncomfortable as well. Ordinary use is fine.

I definitely have seen the red beams from some of the old cameras and remotes we’ve had over the years. I always assumed everyone could see them. I’m talking really old ones. I don’t see anything out of anything I own currently.

This is my first phone I've used extensively with Face ID. The XS and 11 I returned shortly after purchasing them. It hasn't occurred again since my original post.

I guess it was just an anomaly.
Delay in the sensor or something.

I do not experience any issues with it causing discomfort on a regular basis, even with repeated use.

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I can see the Face ID laser in dark rooms too - the laser in Face ID is a GaAs VCSEL running at approx 950 nm. Humans have very low sensitivity to this wavelength so in practice shouldn’t be visible most of the time but can be visible in a dark room with no other light. I think what may have happened to you is that you had acclimated to a dark room so your pupils were very dilated. When Face ID turned on and the infrared laser hit you in the eye, your pupil might have suddenly constricted as if someone had shined a flashlight into your face. That sudden construction may have made your vision briefly go blurry. Just a guess...

macrumors newbie

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2020
Westchester County, NY
I just love the people insulting or using sarcasm on/at me. I'm looking into what occurred, if it hasn't happened to you that's fine.

This is why I disappear from this forum sometimes. Civility and understanding seems to be optional.

Thank you to the people who offered suggestions and understood.
I disliked iris scanner on Galaxy S8. It uses infrared, and while it can’t be seen, it makes the eyes feel discomfort. So your experience is valid.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
I can see the Face ID laser in dark rooms too - the laser in Face ID is a GaAs VCSEL running at approx 950 nm. Humans have very low sensitivity to this wavelength so in practice shouldn’t be visible most of the time but can be visible in a dark room with no other light. I think what may have happened to you is that you had acclimated to a dark room so your pupils were very dilated. When Face ID turned on and the infrared laser hit you in the eye, your pupil might have suddenly constricted as if someone had shined a flashlight into your face. That sudden construction may have made your vision briefly go blurry. Just a guess...

Sounds plausible. It was definitely in a newly darkened room. I had just turned off the light and went to set an alarm or check something. I saw the red blinking right before this but thought nothing of it.

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I’ve seen the FaceID sensors a few times when in the dark, it’s certainly not blinding. Bit of a non-issue?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’ve seen the FaceID sensors a few times when in the dark, it’s certainly not blinding. Bit of a non-issue?
I don’t think she’s trying to make it an issue. It’s more a curiosity, since we know we aren’t supposed to see this light. Now that she’s asked around, we know apparently in certain conditions some of us can. Maybe all of us can in the right conditions.

aRByJr

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2019
Somewhere in NY
Did it look like this...

Attachments

• EE21E3FA-B7DA-48FD-8C02-317D7C5B18F1.jpeg
    EE21E3FA-B7DA-48FD-8C02-317D7C5B18F1.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 65

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
It hasn't happened again since that one time, so I'll just chalk it up to some anomaly occurring.

Maybe disable attention awareness. That will stop the laser from constantly scanning. That should stop your sudden confrontation with it. Now, you will see it when you expect it, when you pick the phone up.

Also, “I’m not here to blame Apple” probably should be made an optional opening sentence to be added to posts. The moment someone comes to discuss something about them and their Apple device that isn’t an experience shared by everyone in the world, it becomes a trigger for people to come smother the innocent poster with bile.

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
Went to open my phone and lots of red. My vision went blurry. It's only happened once since I got the phone on January 14th. Has this ever happened to you?

Is it due to a delay or increased time for the sensor to work?
While I haven't had exactly what you describe I did notice the Iris Scanner that Samsung used for a while did hurt my eyes. I didn't notice it in one instance but over time there definitely was some irritation caused by it.

Here is a decent techy article: https://www.howtogeek.com/404731/are-ir-scanners-in-phones-bad-for-your-eyes/

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
Sorry if I missed the OP mentioning this, but when was the last time she had her eyes checked? Visual anomalies might warrant at least a routine look/see by an eye doctor. Vision is a precious commodity!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.