Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satans_banjo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
SE London
Does anyone know about this multi-platform programming language? This is what I know already:
  • It is made by the same people that made Blitz3D
  • It works on Windows, Mac and Linux
..and that's pretty much it.

After moving to OS X I e-mailed the maker of the game CS2D (a 2D top-down version of CounterStrike which is free and quite a laugh) asking if there was any plan for a Mac version, and he said he was thinking of porting it to BlitzPLUS from Blitz3D if he ever got around to purchasing BlitzPLUS. And now I'm thinking of doing that myself, because it is quite a good game and the original version is open-source.

However, I'm not sure how similar these two languages are. I was thinking I could just copy-paste from one program to another and modify the new one to fit in with the new syntax (I understand it would be harder than that, but that's the basic idea). Is it that simple? And is it worth getting BlitzPLUS or just making games in C++ or Python?

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
BlitzMax, as I believe you're referring to, is really a great language for making games. You can check it out at blitzmax.com

I don't think it would be as trivial as just copying and pasting to port it from Blitz3d to BlitzMax, but I've never tried Blitz3d so I couldn't say for sure. I believe they are quite different languages. BlitzMax is more powerful for games than your average Basic-editor, so I suggest you check it out if you're new to making games. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.