Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtrainor56

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
Is there a way to block macOS Catalina Security Update 2022-005 10.15.7 from being installed permanently?
I have a 2012 i7 27" iMac with 24GB RAM and a 3TB fusion drive. I have not had any issues with this iMac until this security update get installed. I installed it once and it installed by itself two other times. In all cases I had to do a full restore from Time Machine. I am looking for a way to permanently block this from being installed at all costs. It slows my machine down so bad it usually makes it unusable. I have done this in the Windows world in my work environment but we don't deal with Mac's. In the 10 years I owned my iMac I never had to worry about software or hardware issues, this thing just works.
Thanks in advance for any assistance, Joe.

ThunderfromDownUnder

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2022
I never allow automatic updates, I had the reminder and red dot status for a while before I got around to doing it, not sure if that helps or answers your question.

I'll share a little bit on my experience with this version:
I just loaded this security update to my MccBook early 2015 12 inch, 8GB RAM, running on Catalina, and I've noticed (even slower) performance and overall crappy operation compared to a week ago (pre update).

There is also an issue with Safari when translating anything (banking, e-commerce, and it aint the internet connection that's the problem), I don't know if this is universal, or just me.

I really should invest in a new Mac....

jtrainor56

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
I don't allow automatic update as well but on one occasion it crashed and when it came back up it installed the update. On another instance we had a power outage and is set to shut down, when I booted back up the update installed itself. I also had crappy performance and and it was slow as all hell to a point that I went back to a previous time machine update to resolve it.

Being its ten years old and I do not see Apple coming out with a 27" iMac, I am just trying to get through to a few months in the new year to see what's coming out new and probably invest in a Mac Studio. I'll probably retire in couple of years and will make it my last major investment by then.

ThunderfromDownUnder

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2022
We're in the same boat on that last point, a few more years until retirement and the next Mac will be my last serious investment of this type.

Wish I could help further.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.