Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukehladek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Hi there,

Long time, first time...

First of all I apologize if this has been addressed before. I haven't been able to find anything.

I'm wondering if I'm able to block a contact but still access their texts AFTER unblocking, similar to how I can do with calls and Voicemail? Without going into too much detail, I need to block a contact during specific hours but still need to be able to access the texts after the fact.

With voicemail...
They're unaware of the block -> leave a voicemail -> I don't get notified -> I unblock -> I get the voicemails

Is there any way to do this with texts as well?

Thanks so much!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hi there,

Long time, first time...

First of all I apologize if this has been addressed before. I haven't been able to find anything.

I'm wondering if I'm able to block a contact but still access their texts AFTER unblocking, similar to how I can do with calls and Voicemail? Without going into too much detail, I need to block a contact during specific hours but still need to be able to access the texts after the fact.

With voicemail...
They're unaware of the block -> leave a voicemail -> I don't get notified -> I unblock -> I get the voicemails

Is there any way to do this with texts as well?

Thanks so much!
There's really no "voicemail" equivalent for texts. The best you can do is probably put that particular message conversation on mute (basically hide alerts for it) so that messages come in but you aren't notified of them so you aren't bothered, but later you can go into the Messages app and see the new messages there and read them if you want: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201287

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.