Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Is there a way in iOS or a call kit capable app that is able to block all calls without valid caller ID?

The way I see it is if you can’t tell me who you are, why should I answer the phone?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you are referring to people calling without showing a phone number, go into settings > phone > contact list > make a contact called "No caller ID" and set the number as 000-000-0000. After you do this, go into your phone app, find the new contact you made, click edit and then enable the block option.
Does that 0s number match any numbers without caller ID (whether they would show up as "Unknown" or "No Caller ID" or something else like that)?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If you are referring to people calling without showing a phone number, go into settings > phone > contact list > make a contact called "No caller ID" and set the number as 000-000-0000. After you do this, go into your phone app, find the new contact you made, click edit and then enable the block option.
I call my contact "BLOCKED CALLER" and I have assigned a silent ringtone to it (also blocked via iOS).

I didn't realize though that adding the number you say would block No ID callers. That's cool and I added it.

Fortunately, I am also able to take it one step further since I am jailbroken. I also added that number to iBlacklist with the action of "Accept and Hangup".

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Does that 0s number match any numbers without caller ID (whether they would show up as "Unknown" or "No Caller ID" or something else like that)?
I haven't tested it extensively but, thus far my answer is yes.

edited to add: If you block your number (for testing purposes) and call another number, the call will not go through and you should hear a recording saying that there is a problem and you need to contact X carrier. The attempted callee won't be able to tell someone with a blocked number tried to call. No ring, no voicemail etc. Happy silence

Reactions: akash.nu

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I haven't tested it extensively but, thus far my answer is yes.

edited to add: If you block your number (for testing purposes) and call another number, the call will not go through and you should hear a recording saying that there is a problem and you need to contact X carrier. The attempted callee won't be able to tell someone with a blocked number tried to call. No ring, no voicemail etc. Happy silence
Not sure I follow the blocking hour number part. As I understand how call blocking works in iOS is that when someone that is blocked calls they simply get to voicemail and you are just notified of their call or even whether or not they left a voicemail.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Not sure I follow the blocking hour number part. As I understand how call blocking works in iOS is that when someone that is blocked calls they simply get to voicemail and you are just notified of their call or even whether or not they left a voicemail.
Normally that is the case. With my example, I don't get the voicemail option. I doubt that is unique with using Verizon.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
While this works there is always going to be somebody whose call you may want and because they’re not in your contacts
Your not going to get it
Some examples are
Somebody in An accident and first responders are calling
Or a friend that’s not in your contacts that’s calling you
Or the pharmacy calling to tell you your RX is ready

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
While this works there is always going to be somebody whose call you may want and because they’re not in your contacts
Your not going to get it
Some examples are
Somebody in An accident and first responders are calling
Or a friend that’s not in your contacts that’s calling you
Or the pharmacy calling to tell you your RX is ready
Those usually show some sort of random number, these are “unknown” or “blocked” numbers

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I tested this by blocking a friends number. But when he called, it went directly to voicemail. Why is that? I want my list of blocked calls from not being able to leave messages.
Because it really isn't true call blocking.

True call blocking would allow you to enter numbers you want to block on the carrier level. That way you don't even get the call as it's blocked from even connecting to your phone.

Apple calls this iOS feature call blocking, but it's really just a redirection to voicemail without tripping the notification system.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Sorry to be rude, but I always pick and and yell “F*@k you kakkerlak” in Dutch.

After i figure who it was, I will call back and say sorry. It’s fine :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.