Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 6.44.08 AM.png

Seeing a bunch of these over the last couple of days. Can sometimes fix it by changing NordVPN servers but no other sites are affected.

Edit: on Mac only, does not happen on iOS devices running same VPN

Reactions: chown33

Mousit

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
USA
Not sure if it's directly related to your issue, but I've been unable to pull the RSS feed since last week. I get a 403 (Forbidden) error in my feed reader, meaning blocked. Seems to likewise be Cloudflare saying nope to my reader. Not sure what's changed.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I've been seeing this problem sporadically for at least a couple of days.

In one case, it was in a Firefox browser, and it's very much intermittent. My first response was to delete all cookies and quit Firefox, which did fix it temporarily. I later found that simply quitting Firefox and relaunching it would fix it (again, temporarily).

In the other case, it was 100% consistent. It was the 'curl' command-line tool, and it was failing every time with a 403 Forbidden response. My work-around was to use a user-agent string other than "curl/whatever". Even something fanciful, like "Fanciful/99" would cause 'curl' to work.

I retested the aversion to "curl/WHATEVER" by setting Safari's user-agent string to "curl/99", and that led to 100% failures. I also tried some fictional user-agents, like "Bond/007" or "Smart/86", and they worked ok.

Reactions: icanhazmac

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I was doing some testing with 'curl' today, including with a user-agent string of "curl/anything" that was previously failing. This time it worked.

Next I checked it in Safari, using "curl/99", and that worked, too.

It appears that the problem has been corrected, but confirmation from @icanhazmac would be an additional data point.

Reactions: icanhazmac

icanhazmac

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
I was doing some testing with 'curl' today, including with a user-agent string of "curl/anything" that was previously failing. This time it worked.

Next I checked it in Safari, using "curl/99", and that worked, too.

It appears that the problem has been corrected, but confirmation from @icanhazmac would be an additional data point.

I have not had the "blocked" issue in a few days! Thanks MR!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.