Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Why would you do that?

A couple of other possibilities are:
*An established member wants to make posts they know will result in a suspension or ban. "Better" to have a new account sanctioned, at least to people who are rank-strivers.
*Somebody wants to make a post that is intended to trigger a reaction from a specific person they don't get along with.

Last edited:

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
As a user who barely gets banned*, welcome to the forums & thanks mods for putting up with us.

One day I may post a list with them, though would I get banned for that too? lol, no hard feelings guys 🌹

*/s

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A couple of other possibilities are:
*An established member wants to make posts they know will result in a suspension or ban. "Better" to have a new account sanctioned, at least to people who are rank-strivers.
So you are saying an established member creates a new profile, against the rules, to make posts that they know will get that profile suspended? Is that the level of maturity on these forums?
*Somebody wants to make a post that is intended to trigger a reaction from a specific person they don't get along with.
Are people really that gullible they take the bait?

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
So you are saying an established member creates a new profile, against the rules, to make posts that they know will get that profile suspended? Is that the level of maturity on these forums?

Are people really that gullible they take the bait?

1. I think so. Let's face it, moderation resources are limited and it is difficult to detect users with multiple accounts in any case. And vitriolic behavior is a problem anywhere online that provides provocateurs with a big audience. So when combined with rank-striving here, there are, unfortunately, reasons to open flame-accounts. A related possibility is "persona bots".

2. I don't view it so much as gullibility. I think it's more of an action-reaction reflex, especially if an antagonist is familiar with which topics and viewpoints set off their target.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It would be cool if when you block someone, it hides you from them like you get on platforms like Facebook, but I can appreciate that would be hard to implement on here. I often get someone quoting me that I’ve had blocked for months but they are probably unaware that I am not interacting with them anymore. It would be less of a waste of their time too.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
1. I think so. Let's face it, moderation resources are limited and it is difficult to detect users with multiple accounts in any case. And vitriolic behavior is a problem anywhere online that provides provocateurs with a big audience. So when combined with rank-striving here, there are, unfortunately, reasons to open flame-accounts. A related possibility is "persona bots".
I never hear of “rank striving”…until now. I don’t think it would change one iota if there weren’t such a thing as “rank”. MR members still have their length of membership on the hook, even without the rank. But I guess there are those who try to outsmart any system.
2. I don't view it so much as gullibility. I think it's more of an action-reaction reflex, especially if an antagonist is familiar with which topics and viewpoints set off their target.
Posters have to grow up then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.