Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Is there an app that will block ads, preferably system wide at the DNS level on the iPhone/iPad?

I find it extremely annoying to see them when browsing websites through Safari and using the YouTube app to watch videos. It ruins the experience for me when seeing ads and commercials all over the place. I want a clean ad free interface.

On the Mac I use a combination of uBlock Origins and Pi-hole and it works wonders. No ads at all. I really wish there is a way to do this on the iPhone/iPad. I know they have ad blocking apps, but from what I've read, it seems that they only block ads on Safari only.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Can't you point the iOS devices DNS settings to the Pi-Hole and accomplish what you want?

Like you said, adblocker apps will only work with Safari on iOS.

Already done that. But youtube ad's still come through.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Don’t use the YouTube app. Use Safari to watch YouTube with no ads. There is no iOS app that can block video ads in the YouTube app.

The other advantage to using Safari is you can use PiP (on the iPad) and system-wide media controls with the screen locked (on iPad and iPhone) without requiring a YouTube Red subscription.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.