Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vancityguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that blocking 'mesu.apple.com' & 'appldnld.apple.com' in your router no longer prevents iOS update nags from Apple?

I have updated all the household iOS devices to iOS12.0 and get the update nag for iOS12.0.1 & now iOS12.1 despite following all the known tricks to block OTA updates.

The only device in my home (my work phone) where router-level OTA blocking is effective is still on iOS11x.

If anyone has a proper work around (such as updated domains/URLs to block in the router), please help this homie out!

I'm using a Synology router btw.

TIA

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that blocking 'mesu.apple.com' & 'appldnld.apple.com' in your router no longer prevents iOS update nags from Apple?

I have updated all the household iOS devices to iOS12.0 and get the update nag for iOS12.0.1 & now iOS12.1 despite following all the known tricks to block OTA updates.

The only device in my home (my work phone) where router-level OTA blocking is effective is still on iOS11x.

If anyone has a proper work around (such as updated domains/URLs to block in the router), please help this homie out!

I'm using a Synology router btw.

TIA
Have you tried using the tvOS beta profile?
[doublepost=1540946117][/doublepost]
Why don't you just turn automatic updates off? Easy Peasy.
That doesn't prevent automatic download of updates unfortunately.

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Have you tried using the tvOS beta profile?
[doublepost=1540946117][/doublepost]
That doesn't prevent automatic download of updates unfortunately.
That may be, but the OP's post said he wanted to stop the updates and nags from occurring. My auto update option is unchecked and I don't get either one.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That may be, but the OP's post said he wanted to stop the updates and nags from occurring. My auto update option is unchecked and I don't get either one.
"Nag" happens when the update is downloaded but isn't installed. It's basically there to get you to install it, which means that it wouldn't even come up with auto updates as the update would get installed automatically without the need to "nag".

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
"Nag" happens when the update is downloaded but isn't installed. It's basically there to get you to install it, which means that it wouldn't even come up with auto updates as the update would get installed automatically without the need to "nag".
I agree, but what I am saying is that I don't get ANY notifications unless I visit software update. If I don't go there, there is no download, therefore, no nags. Does that make sense?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I agree, but what I am saying is that I don't get ANY notifications unless I visit software update. If I don't go there, there is no download, therefore, no nags. Does that make sense?
I understand what you are saying and the experience you have. That isn't the case for some others (who have automatic updates disabled as well).

vancityguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
I understand what you are saying and the experience you have. That isn't the case for some others (who have automatic updates disabled as well).

That's exactly my problem.

Auto Updates feature was disabled since the moment I installed iOS12.0.
I even kept deleting the iOS update file from the iPhone Storage menu after I began getting the nag, but it would just keep downloading it over and over and prompting me to update every morning. Super annoying.

What I'm trying to get at is, prior to iOS12, I was able to blacklist the URLs listed in the original post on my router and even if I accidentally visited the updates link on my iPhone, it would just throw me a pop up saying "unable to check for updates. Please try later.", or something to that effect. I want to re-enable this block in iOS12.

Anyone know how?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's exactly my problem.

Auto Updates feature was disabled since the moment I installed iOS12.0.
I even kept deleting the iOS update file from the iPhone Storage menu after I began getting the nag, but it would just keep downloading it over and over and prompting me to update every morning. Super annoying.

What I'm trying to get at is, prior to iOS12, I was able to blacklist the URLs listed in the original post on my router and even if I accidentally visited the updates link on my iPhone, it would just throw me a pop up saying "unable to check for updates. Please try later.", or something to that effect. I want to re-enable this block in iOS12.

Anyone know how?
Sounds like potentially different servers might be used?

Also, have you tried the tvOS beta profile menthol?

vancityguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Sounds like potentially different servers might be used?

Also, have you tried the tvOS beta profile menthol?

Thankfully, this did it for me...phew! I thought this was it for my iPhone 7. lol..

I actually didn't know about the tvOS beta profile hack until you guys mentioned it. I was relying on blacklisting known apple domains at the router level, and it worked flawlessly until this September's iOS12 upgrade.

Thanks @C DM. Looks like this method has been known to work for a while, and I'd been living under a rock. *facepalm*

Works like a charm!

IMG_6107.jpg

Reactions: C DM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.