Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone playing this? I just stumbled across it on Steam, Minecraft building style game with the realism of Landmark, procedurally generated endless world, on your own server. My first impression was OMG! :)

Anyway, if anyone is playing let me know what you think. :) I bowed out of the Landmark beta for some reasons which I won't go into unless specifically asked. Obviously a big attraction with this game is stated in my first paragraph.

The reason I have not yet purchased this is because there was a review that said the author was going to make it more blocky like Minecraft, but I think that is bogus.

In a comment I saw relating to a blockscape video, a person called it a blatant rip off of Minecraft and said the author should be stabbed. Hmm, IMO this is where Minecraft should be today and it is not. Curves are always better than blocks.

Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Wow, that is so cool! I had an idea for something similar to this, like minecraft but without the blocks.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Wow, that is so cool! I had an idea for something similar to this, like minecraft but without the blocks.

The author has denied that he is getting rid of the voxel meshes (what makes it smooth). He working on revamping the biome generators and has not published an update to this prerelease Steam game since last Summer. I'm waiting for a game update before I make the decision to jump.

If you like voxel games, (like Minecraft), also take a look at Space Engineers. The author for this game is much more energetic, pumping out several updates a month.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Feb 2015- no updates. Reports on Steam that the author is rewriting the game engine. Maybe he is making progress, but the rate of published updates is 0.0. This is a good example of why you should watch and weight before making the leap into an early access games altough there are other games out there that make steady progress with regular updates. I have not bought it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.