Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
I would like to know if anyone here knows how to set up a blog on my own website (on my domain) with a mac?

I saw software that generates a php blog that you can post on it directly from the software but they are all for windows.

Anyone know how I could implement a blog on my website with my iBook?

p.s. I dont want any e-bloger or anything outside my domain.

Another thing I would like is to keep my current template. I will just put the blog script in the table that I put my content.

thanks

robx2

macrumors member
May 27, 2005
http://www.wordpress.org

WordPress is free, open-source and easily customizable if you're running your website with CSS. Gotta have access to a mySQL server through your domain though. Tons of good plug-ins and templates available from other users.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Rapidweaver seems more like software that will build a complete website for you. It looks like very good software but it seems more newbie oriented.

I allready have the website and only want to add a blog into it.

I like how you can create and manage the blog on the software but their seems to be no way of getting the code of it. It just wants to upload it as index.html to a .mac or ftp adress.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong but It deosent seem capable of doing that.

Edit: Thanks Robx, I was writing my post as you posted. Ill have a look into that.

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Ouch, without software, I'm going to have to do some learning.

I have a template that I bought. There is a table that is for my content in the middle. How easy is it to integrate to an existing template?

All the articles on my website will become blog posts and the future content will blog posts too.

Can people reply to your posts with wordpress?

Thanks to everyone

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Another vote for wordpress. I use it on a few sites. It is designed to be a blogging software, but can also be used as a decent content management system as well. Yes, people can reply to your posts and all of the other standard features. Google for 'install wordpress os x' and there is an article that explains how to set up Wordpress on your Mac. Set it up and see how you like it and then add it to your site.

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
peterparker said:
Ditto on WordPress.

WordPress works great. Very easy to customize the templates to match the rest of your site. Handles photo galleries great too, with the right plugins. I'm having a lot of fun playing around with all it can do. Plus its free.:D

TodVader

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Can I put it in a table on MY template or do I have to modify their template? (which would be kasi impossible to make it match mine since its made my a professional and I have 0 Photoshop and CSS expertise)

Sic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
another vote for wordpress here...highly customisable and easy to modify/use.

alternatively, take a PHP/MYSQL learning curve and do one yourself :)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
TodVader said:
Can I put it in a table on MY template or do I have to modify their template? (which would be kasi impossible to make it match mine since its made my a professional and I have 0 Photoshop and CSS expertise)

No, you can't just put a wordpress blog into a table on your page. A frame, maybe, but not a table. If you have no CSS skills, you will probably want to use an existing template (of which there are thousands).

You might be able to find a template that's close and then change the color scheme to match your site -- that may be the best you can do. If you want more complete integration, you'll probably have to hire a professional to add blog functionality to your site. A good place to start looking for pro blog designers is the blog community 9rules (I'm a member, but I'm not a blog designer) -- lots of great blog designers there.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
wordmunger said:
No, you can't just put a wordpress blog into a table on your page. A frame, maybe, but not a table. If you have no CSS skills, you will probably want to use an existing template (of which there are thousands).

That isn't entirely true, there is no reason you couldn't take the existing layout and turn it into a Wordpress theme by adding a loop into that table along with the other WP includes a guide to that is here:

http://www.jonathanwold.com/tutorials/wordpress_integration/

Then there is lots of other reference information at:

http://codex.wordpress.org

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Stampyhead said:
I'm in the process of building my own. For anyone who knows PHP and MySQL, it's not too hard to do.

Until you want to start doing things like supporting trackabacks, pingbacks, pinging sites when you publish a post, setting up an xmlrpc interface so you can blog to your site via other services like Flickr and not to mention blocking spam comments.

Building a site that you can make posts to and edit from a HTML front end with MySQL is a piece of cake, all the rest that makes a blog a blog isn't so simple.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I use Moveable Type on my personal site, it's very easy to install and doesn't take too long to customize. I've tried a few different types of blogging software and this is the first one that I've stuck with and that I really like.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
jaseone said:
Until you want to start doing things like supporting trackabacks, pingbacks, pinging sites when you publish a post, setting up an xmlrpc interface so you can blog to your site via other services like Flickr and not to mention blocking spam comments.

Building a site that you can make posts to and edit from a HTML front end with MySQL is a piece of cake, all the rest that makes a blog a blog isn't so simple.
Of course, that's all I really need. That's why I'm doing it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.