Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve gee

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Just got the new 11 inch and where there is extremely bright white (picture attached) I see what seems like blooming. And it almost has a bit of a hue. I may be crazy - Has anyone else seen this on their unit when playing video?

Attachments

• IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Haha
Reactions: diamornte

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I wonder if the two stacked layers may cause slightly more light to spread than with single-layer OLED.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
I wonder if the two stacked layers may cause slightly more light to spread than with single-layer OLED.
Yep, I’m seeing the same thing with 16:9 content just above where the pixels are illuminated and it gets worse as the brightness is increased. That second layer definitely contributing here.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Looks like there’s always another compromise. I hope it’s not too bad, or I’ll have to stick with Samsung.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Note that that lenses (eyes, cameras) can cause a blooming-like effect. There are some tricks to see how much is true blooming and how much isn't. Let me see if I can dig that up.

Reactions: the future

derdante

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Make sure it's not just glare. Try covering up the bright part and see if it's still visible. If I take a pic of bright content on a dark background on my OLED TV I see glare as well, doesn't mean the actual area surrounding the pixels is lit up.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Yep, I’m seeing the same thing with 16:9 content just above where the pixels are illuminated and it gets worse as the brightness is increased. That second layer definitely contributing here.
Try this… put a bright 16:9 video on the screen and pause it (in a dark room). Then cover the part of the image right up to the black borders. I’m almost certain you’ll find there is no light bleed and the blacks are pure black.

As per the video below (which despite locking exposure, is still auto adjusting but you get the idea).

Try that in a dark room and see if it’s real light bleed you’re getting or your eyes playing tricks. Hopefully you’ll see the blacks are black, as they should be.

It’s same with the Apple logo on the watch. It looks like it glows but if you cover it with your thumb at boot up, it actually isn’t.

Reactions: asleep and klasma

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Let me see if I can dig that up.
Try covering up the bright part and see if it's still visible. If I take a pic of bright content on a dark background on my OLED TV I see glare as well, doesn't mean the actual area surrounding the pixels is lit up.
There ya go. Yeah, get a piece of cardboard and cover up the lit area and see if you can still see the hazy grey.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there still is a bit of light spread, esp. with a dual-layer display. It shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as with a mini-LED display though.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
And so the long list of "mine doesn't seem perfect, is it a problem?" posts begins...

Let me take a picture of a screen in a room with a camera then compress it and post it and you can view it on a different screen in a different room. Then we can assume what you're now seeing with your eyes is the same as what I saw with my eyes.

Not a criticism of the OP, but I can't help but find this humorous every time.

Reactions: G5isAlive

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
I did the same ‘test’ with the same episode of Hacks. No blooming whatsoever. Was your lens smudged? Do you have a screensaver on your iPad?

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Yep. Of which there is no problem. Other than not understanding how human eyes work 😅 let’s hope everyone does the simple cover up test above before a non-existent ‘OLED bloom-gate’ hits the internet 😬
It’s a simple and easy test to do. I just tried it on mine, and the blacks were pure black 👍🏼

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.