Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
hey you guys, i just got myself a Blu-ray burner.

Some Specs:
PART NUMBER
BWU-100A

DRIVE TYPE
Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner

MEDIA & MODES SUPPORTED
BD-ROM*, BD-AV, BD-R, BD-RE, DVD-R/-R DL/-RW, DVD+R/DVD+R DL/+RW, DVD-RAM: DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD: CD-DA, CD-ROM (XA), CD Extra, Video CD, Photo CD*, CD Text, multi-session

READ/WRITE SPEED
Write (BD-R 50GB***/25GB) 2X CLV max**
Write (BD-RE 50GB***/25GB) 2X CLV max**
Write (DVD-R) 4X CLV, 6X - 8X Z-CLV max.**
Write (DVD-R DL) 4X CLV max. ***
Write (DVD-RW) 6X CLV max. **,br>Write (DVD+R) 6X-8X Z-CLV max**
Write (DVD+R DL) 4X CLV max***
Write (DVD+RW) 6X - 8X Z-CLV max**
Write (DVD-RAM) 5x Z-CLV max**
Write (CD-R) 12X - 24X Z-CLV max**
Write (CD-RW) 12X - 16X Z-CLV max. **
Read (BD-ROM) 2X max.
Read (DVD-ROM) 8X max.
Read (CD-ROM) 32X max.

BlurayBurner1.JPG

BlurayBurner2.JPG

BluerayBurner3.JPG

Alrighty. here is the question. What software is actually good to use?

Ive heard Toast now supports it correct? Anybody have experience with other software?

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
hey you guys, i just got myself a Blu-ray burner.

Some Specs:
PART NUMBER
BWU-100A

Alrighty. here is the question. What software is actually good to use?

Ive heard Toast now supports it correct? Anybody have experience with other software?

Toast is probably the standard and is blu-ray compatible. Don't know that there are any compatible playback programs, though (for commercial blu-ray discs) because I don't think that the Mac DVD player is HDCP compatible (but could be wrong about that), nor am I sure that the graphics cards for the Mac Pro are HDCP compliant, either (the cinema displays are not iirc, although there are plenty of displays on the market that are). Interesting to note that Sony stuck with PATA on this one instead of SATA.

cheers.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
nice drive, and toast 8 has blu ray support.

but as the other poster says... 10.4.8 still doesnt support blu-ray playback.

DVD player 'may' be updated to support it with Leopard. 10.5

Chances are other apple programmes such as Final Cut Studio will require a complete upgrade to FC6 to allow output and blu-ray authoring

Basically it just too soon.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
You'll need a Blu-ray player, PS3, or a PC to play the discs - for now...

That brings up an interesting point. You should be able to use the updated version of power dvd in windows with an hdcp compatible video card on a mac pro, just can't do it from os x until leopard (with the appropriate hardware). I would guess that something like vlc should be able to play unencrypted stuff that you burned to blu-ray (i.e. you should be able to play stuff that you burned from an hd camcorder).

cheers.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
hhmm. That is interesting as I never thought of the playback on the Mac. To that note, I own both the PS3 and a Sony BDP-S1 (blu-ray player) so that will not be a big deal.

This is how I imagined it. use FCP and edit in HD and use Toast to actually burn Blu-ray to keep my HD footage HD and playback via PS3/BDP-S1 or offer my discs to others who also have player.

That game plan would work correct?

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
whats a driver like that going to run you? How much $$$$$? I must have one.:apple:

Best Buy has them for $750. but their $700 on Sony's own site so im sure they would match them.

You can find them on Amazon or Ebay for about $500.

I will mainly be using my for Media content but like others said, great for backup. A 50GB Blu-ray disc will be superb for backup, although I do backup to hard drive, it will be nice to just have 1 or 2 discs in a corner with a solid backup, instead of 20 DVD's

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
50GB vs 25GB (writing)

A 50GB Blu-ray disc will be superb for backup, although I do backup to hard drive, it will be nice to just have 1 or 2 discs in a corner with a solid backup, instead of 20 DVD's

Although I am not sure the current models support 50GB writes, from my quick browsing the techical manuals from Sony, Plextor, Samsung. It appears this first generation only writes 25GB, or am I mistaken?

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Although I am not sure the current models support 50GB writes, from my quick browsing the techical manuals from Sony, Plextor, Samsung. It appears this first generation only writes 25GB, or am I mistaken?

Im not sure about the Plextor or the Samsung one but I can tell you for a fact that the Sony unit indeed burns both the 25GB discs and the 50GB discs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.