Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virnew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Hello,

Is there anybody concerned about the blue light emitted by their iPhones regarding eye health?

Thanks

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2017
You can get a Blue Light Blocking Glasses off Amazon. I use these glasses all the time, and they work well. I used to get red and itchy eyes, but with these blue light filter glasses, I don’t face that issue anymore.

Those glasses are around $16-$25 and worth it.

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
I did have issues with my eyes becasue of the blue light a few years ago. Since then I use night shift, turn on True Tone and keep the brightness as low As possible (when indoors). I did this on all my devices and have no issues now. All devices with screens emit blue light. TVs are the worst since most of them dont have any features to reduce blue light. I only know of LG oled tvs that have some features built in.

Macmelman

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
There is no evidence that blue light causes any real effect on eye health, although it is known that it affects sleep patterns. Avoiding blue light or using features built in in electronic devices for some time before going to bed will eliminate or at least reduce this effect.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
blue light glasses work. I started wearing them and my eyes never feel tired or strained and I fall asleep quicker now with higher quality sleep.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
It can cause more eye strain and sleep problems for some, but that can go for most any screen that you stare at long enough (for example monitors at an office day job).

I personally don’t stress about it, but i had a blue light blocking screen protector (Zagg Elite+) on my iPhone X and now I have one on my iPhone 12 Pro. I don’t notice a major difference in my eyes from before I used the screen protectors but it’s there.

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Hello,

Is there anybody concerned about the blue light emitted by their iPhones regarding eye health?

Thanks

Blue light only affects your sleep pattern and can me mitigated using nightshift. It absolutely has nothing to do with damaging your eyes.

Anyone pushing this as dangerous doesn't know what the heck they're actually talking about. For example, one guess the type of sunlight that is most concentrated early in the morning? Blue Light.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
As far as blue light causing actual retinal eye damage, that claim has been debunked. There's no direct evidence (on living subjects) to support it.
But there's plenty of manufacturers out there willing to sell anyone Blue Light Blockers, just like there's plenty of manufacturers selling every vitamin supplement under the sun.

There's lots of websites parroting the original flawed research, but they're all referencing the same (flawed) conclusions.

Do more extensive searching on the Internet. You'll see

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.