Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evitalp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
I'm trying to use a Blue yeti mic on my 2018 Macbook Air, currently running osx Catalina.. But the mic doesn't show up on the sound input options. Any ideas what might be wrong? I appreciate any help you can give me

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It's just USB, right. Try another USB port? Have you tried update/reinstalling the drivers?

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I have a Blue Yeti also (with iMac, but shouldn't be any different).

If you have it plugged in to the USB port, and restart your computer (just in case that makes a difference), it should show under both Output and Input.

Output gives you the ability to attach a wired headphone directly to the Yeti microphone.

Input is of course the microphone input itself.

The mute button on the microphone should be illuminated red if you are properly attached to your computer and it is receiving power. If that is the case then it should be functional. If the mute button is not illuminated red then you are not attached correctly and the microphone is not receiving power from the computer.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Also, the Yeti app that is available to download is really not needed. I have tried it however it is not compatible at the present time with Big Sur. It may be of some use with Catalina.

Regardless, you should be able to use the Yeti without any special software or app, it should be plug and play.

Arubalube

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
I'm trying to use a Blue yeti mic on my 2018 Macbook Air, currently running osx Catalina.. But the mic doesn't show up on the sound input options. Any ideas what might be wrong? I appreciate any help you can give me
I had the same problem [2022-04-03]. I hadn't used my Yeti Blue since September last year and I thought that it was not working because of a macOS update, I was on Big Sur [11.6.5?] back then and on Catalina [12.2.1] now.

I tested on a machine at work that had Big Sur installed to see if that's what it was. It did work...then I realised that it was nothing at all to do with the macOS it was because some of my cables are power-only, therefore no data and no microphone.

This site claims that you can tell by looking [https://www.haykranen.nl/2020/11/01/micro-usb-cables-data-power-charge/], I could not. I need to come up with some kind of labelling system!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.