Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Daveway said:
Clink

I don't know if anyone has heard of this hosting service, Bluehost.

They are offering 4gigs of storage and 100gb of bandwidth for only $6.95/month.

the price isnt' that bad. what i usually ask when i get a new web hosting service is are you on any known spam list? Also, ask if they have a 30 day money back deal. i've gotten web host that sell accounts to spammers and usually all major email services, gmail,hotmail,yahoo, etc block your mail servers. with the 30 day your have to time check that out. i would also ask if your bandwidth is throttled. alot of places tell you a 100 gb bandwidth, but the actually burst transfer sucks which will drag down a site with lots of photos.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
The old saying "If it sounds too good to be true than it probably is" would most likely ring true in this case, you might be able to have problem free dealings with BlueHost and be very happy with them however in order to offer such good deals hosts need to oversell their servers in the hope that not many if any of their customers use all of what they are offered, that is what can often become problematic.

In other cases some hosts offer such good deals to lure you in but then deem your site to be too popular and force an upgrade on you.

I haven't had dealings with BlueHost before and some quick googling only turned up positive results even though they all sounded fabricated but at least there were no horror stories there. I wouldn't of course recommend switching from A Small Orange seeing how I'm a happy customer and a regular on their forums plus of course I like the whole Apple & Orange thing with the similarities between what they offer their customers. :D

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
I got a deal from DreamHost that TOTALLY sounded to be good to be true. They are an awesome company, though and have the greatest support. PM me for more details.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
jet3004 said:
I got a deal from DreamHost that TOTALLY sounded to be good to be true. They are an awesome company, though and have the greatest support. PM me for more details.

Don't waste your time PMing someone about Dreamhost... people talk about how awesome their service is all the time and all over the web. Dreamhost is rapidly becoming very popular because they are :
1- Cheap
2- Responsive to problems and very knowledgeable
3- Offer LOTS of good stuff
4- Always giving you more good stuff (like upping bandwidth and hard disk space)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.