Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piipperi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2020
Computur
It's been a month since visiting BlueStacks, so I decided to go and check what's happening with my games, and... it didn't want to boot. Quick Google search of the error "Could not start the Engine" I got gave me many results with all of them telling me to reinstall Bluestacks. No problem, so I did. But after probably 10 reinstalls (deleting the app first, then reinstalling it, a reboot here and there as well). Nothing. Still, the same error kept happening. I found a suggestion to reinstall VirtualBox, which I did and approved all kernel extensions. Still the same error.

I turned to BlueStacks' support team, who told me my computer does not meet the minimum requirements for BlueStacks (which it does by a long shot, they just said it because my laptop is from 2013, which is the only minimum requirement it doesn't meet).

Here's the VBox.log file if anyone wants to analyze it: https://pastebin.com/AeWKMT4v

I was suggested to try Nox App Player as well, but without it giving me any errors, it just gets stuck at 99% on boot and shows no activity in Activity Monitor after that. It's just stuck there. I tried to contact their support but I don't think it exists as I never even got an automated response for my email.

What do I do? Any other good Android Emulators I should try? Thanks.

Edit: Messed around with BlueStacks settings, after setting it to 720p it now loads into their weird app store but the "My apps" just show a black screen, maybe the Android has corrupted itself? I deleted BlueStacks from ~/Library/ and reinstalled it, but it just gives that same message again...

Mac specs if needed:
macOS 11.4
MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2013
Intel Core i7-4960HQ
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
In the month that you didn't use Bluestacks, did the OS get "updated"?

Maybe that's the underlying problem -- Apple made changes and Bluestacks hasn't "caught up"...

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
I would temporarily make a new account on the Mac and try to run them, if it works you know its some weird setting either in the VM or on your user profile.
then you can try 3rd party app cleaners etc.to nuke it from orbit and try a re-install again.
or if it fails you know its probably due to a OS update etc.

Piipperi

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2020
Computur
In the month that you didn't use Bluestacks, did the OS get "updated"?

Maybe that's the underlying problem -- Apple made changes and Bluestacks hasn't "caught up"...
I think I did update to 11.4 in the meantime, and now I'm on 11.5 in case it was some bug caused by 11.4.

Except that the problem is still present, BlueStacks has had plenty of time to catch up too to 11.4 if it's a problem with it. And it's also a bit strange to me that Nox App Player which had never been installed on my Mac before didn't work neither.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.