Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Okay, so I got my new iMac about a week and a half ago now. It's mostly great, but one thing is DRIVING ME INSANE. And it's my bluetooth mighty mouse trying to sync in OSX and XP.

Okay, my BT Apple Keyboard syncs with the computer the second I turn it on. In both XP and OSX. The mouse however is a different story. Sometimes I can just turn it on and it syncs perfectly. Most of the time it takes a good 3-4 minutes to sync to the computer in either OS. Sometimes it won't sync at all and I have to wait for BT Setup to self-run in OSX or manually add it to the BT Device list in XP, removing the previous set up. Right now it won't connect to XP at all.

Can someone please help me? I'd rather not use my wired USB mouse unless I need to.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Try deleting the pairing for the WMM, then re-pair. Mine syncs almost instantly, both in OS-X and XP. (assuming the batteries are OK, too).

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Okeydokey. I deleted the pairing in both OSX and XP, but that didn't really make a smeg of difference.

However, I did find something interesting. Assuming I'm just turning on the computer or waking it from sleep, it'll sync quickly if it's the first BT device I turn on. If it's the second (i.e. I turn on the keyboard first) then it has the problems I described in the first post.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Okeydokey. I deleted the pairing in both OSX and XP, but that didn't really make a smeg of difference.

However, I did find something interesting. Assuming I'm just turning on the computer or waking it from sleep, it'll sync quickly if it's the first BT device I turn on. If it's the second (i.e. I turn on the keyboard first) then it has the problems I described in the first post.

Why do you turn off you KB and mouse?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Other way round here. Keyboard requires a toggle of the power switch when you jump into XP (fine in OSX, sometimes... get to that in a mo!) but the mouse is normally fine in both systems.

BUT.
Recently I've had moments were the keyboard would not be found even after a power switch toggle. In OSX or XP. I thought the batteries died first but they're at 50%! Strange. Wish I went with the wired models now :eek:

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2006
Australia
Why do you turn off you KB and mouse?

Uh, because it's wasting power if I'm not using my computer for more than a few minutes or so? And Batteries aren't really that cheap?

Recently I've had moments were the keyboard would not be found even after a power switch toggle. In OSX or XP. I thought the batteries died first but they're at 50%! Strange. Wish I went with the wired models now

Then again, laying in bed browsing the internet half asleep has it's advantages!

whipstitch

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2006
Uh, because it's wasting power if I'm not using my computer for more than a few minutes or so? And Batteries aren't really that cheap?

Then again, laying in bed browsing the internet half asleep has it's advantages!

With my PB, I had a regular Apple Mouse (wireless). It dies probably every few weeks if that. It should turn off when your computer sleeps or is off, however, unless you happen to click it and activate it under those circumstances.

For my new notebook, I returned to the wired Mighty Mouse. The power technology just isn't there. Instead of re-chargeables, try Costco for cheap Duracell AA packs.

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
Yea, so you're really not supposed to turn it on and off. I've been using mine for about 2 months and the battery is still at 4/5.

When you turn it off and back on, it has trouble reconnecting. What you have to do is turn the mouse on, then turn bluetooth off and then back on. Then it will connect again. But since you don't have a Trackpad on your iMac, that would be a little difficult.

So just leave the mouse on. At this rate, mine will be going for 6 months before I have to change the batteries. If you can't afford new batteries every 6 months, then why do you have an iMac? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.