Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vegea8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
Since late august, bluetooth audio cuts off on ALL bluetooth devices, only on mi Iphone X and ONLY in my home, elsewhere is fine.
I got my iPhone replaced at the apple store three times and it stays the same. I need help i don’t know what to do, it doesn’t happen to any other device in my home, we also have an iPhone 8 with almost identical internals and no issues at all. I rely on bluetooth audio 10-12hrs a day and I cannot get away using cable (airpods pro or the phone needs to charge).
I spent 1000€ on this phone a year and a half ago and it got replaced two months ago and I don’t want/don’t have money to spend on a new iphone given that this one is still super capable and the screen is really good which I care a lot about.
I also talked with apple for two months and they got bluetooth logging reports to send it to engineering and they concluded it was an interference at the end user’s environment and they couldn’t give me any solution, but they weren’t able to tell me why that supposed interference affects only on this iPhone and no other devices. If it was a 2,4ghz interference that could intercept with the bluetooth signal it would affect other devices too...
I also offered to pay the replacement value difference for an iPhone XS (according to apple’s website only 10€) as that would probably solve the issue but they refused.
There has to be a viable solution

Video showing the issue attached, it is cropped in but the audio shows it

PilarG

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2021
I have exactly the same issue, but with an iPhone 8. It streams to Bluetooth perfectly away from home, but it keeps having cuts on all Bluetooth devices at home, even when I disconnect it from my wifi network (which is Google Wifi). My husband and my daughter have iPhones Xs and Xr and no issues at home.

Anyone with similar problems or solutions?

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Yes and it's caused by interference from my neighbor's use of a bluetooth speaker. I can also tell that my use of bluetooth is interfering with my upstairs neighbor's 2.4 WiFi band. (I hear the bitching when I use my AirPods :))

I also used to have interference caused by my neighbor's security camera. Anything that uses the 2.4 ghz band can cause interference with bluetooth devices: another bluetooth device, security cameras, cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc. etc.

I guess this doesn't explain why it only happens on your X, but hopefully this answer helps someone in pinpointing the source of their bluetooth troubles.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There is a setting and it’s labeled different things: fat channel intolerant, 20/40 meg coexistence or other monikers. This setting makes sure Wifi plays nice with Bluetooth.

Check your router and settings be on computers.

vegea8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
The issue dissappeared for two months in october and then it came back (when I started this thread) so I finally decided to give the iPhone X to my mom who needed a new iPhone and she doesn't use bluetooth and I bought the 12. A month later, the issue started on the iPhone 12 and now I tested the iPhone X and no issues at all. My router's not the issue, I unplugged all electronic devices in my home (even the whole security system) and still having the issue so it is clearly from a neighbour and the signal that causes this may have changed and now affects the 12 model. If I restore the iPhone and set it up without any Apple ID or information it still happens so it is not anything I have installed. It may be a neighbour's router or whatever but I cannot do anything about it, but it has to be a super strong signal to cause that interference shown in the video I posted. I've been in touch with Apple Support and they collected logs and a month later they told me the issue is caused by the eduroam profile from my university wifi. That doesn't make sense because If I uninstall the profile and then reboot the phone, the issue is still there and also if I restore it and don't install anything, so they are clearly wrong (also I have friends that have that profile on their iPhones and they came to my house and no issues, also my iPad has it and all fine too. I've lost 1000€ and I'm in the same spot as before.

vegea8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
I have exactly the same issue, but with an iPhone 8. It streams to Bluetooth perfectly away from home, but it keeps having cuts on all Bluetooth devices at home, even when I disconnect it from my wifi network (which is Google Wifi). My husband and my daughter have iPhones Xs and Xr and no issues at home.

Anyone with similar problems or solutions?
Please call Apple support and report the issue (they should transfer the case to the superior technical department) because If they recieve reports of more people maybe they investigate further. Also, have you tried to restore your iPhone and set it up without any backups or information? And do you have any eduroam wifi profile from a university?

vegea8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
There is a setting and it’s labeled different things: fat channel intolerant, 20/40 meg coexistence or other monikers. This setting makes sure Wifi plays nice with Bluetooth.

Check your router and settings be on computers.
It's not my router, I already unplugged it, it may be my neighbour's but I cannot do anything about it cause any of my neighbours know anything about wifi or how to even change the wifi password.

AppleMuis

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
It's not my router, I already unplugged it, it may be my neighbour's but I cannot do anything about it cause any of my neighbours know anything about wifi or how to even change the wifi password.
Sorry for the bump in thread, but I have the exact same issue since last month and nothing I do helps. It is making me go insane, especially since I cannot find any other source on the internet aside from this thread where people have this exact issue and it's stopping me from being able to listen to music. No bluetooth problems on any other device in my house, it's just the iPhone constantly being a mess.

Have you perhaps found any solution since Mar 8?

AppleMuis

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
Another bump, but I think this is important for anyone who might come across this super weird bug in the future, cause I found out why this was happening (by complete accident).

When the audio started to glitch out again, I opened the bluetooth menu and saw my iPhone trying to connect to an Amazon Echo Dot device that I have.
The weird thing about this is that:
1) The Amazon Echo Dots in our house don't and never have had anything connected/linked to bluetooth
2) My iPhone is not linked to any Amazon Echo Dots either.

But there it was, trying to connect to one anyway. After about 30 seconds to a minute it would fail, and then drop trying to connect to the device. This happened every 7-10 minutes reliably, between the different Echo Dots in our house. Disconnecting all Echo Dots from power solved the bluetooth issue that I had.

In hindsight, it makes sense cause the issues started happening around the time we bought our first Echo Dots.

However, due to the fact both my iPhone and my Echo Dots have never been linked to one another and restarting all of them didn't solve it, I have no permanent solution. At least I now know why it's happening and I hope it might help you too!

I could always put the echo devices in a smart plug and then cut off power the moment I try to connect to a bluetooth device via automation :')

Last edited:

AppleMuis

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2021
I wonder what would happen if you actually connected the iPhone to the Echo Dot, then disconnected it, and then set the iPhone to "Forget this device".
Hmm, I wonder too. I'll try it today and if that changes anything I'll update the thread in a week or so, just to be safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.