Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
iPhone 5S on iOS GM 10. Previous Bluetooth audio quality was fine.

I am getting terrible quality audio when using Bluetooth in my car. This happens using Siri and while making a call.

The audio is low and sounds almost "raspy" - like a cheap mono speaker over AM radio. I had to raise the volume from 20 to 27 just to be able to hear Siri and the phone calls.

In an attempt to fix the issue, I deleted the car's audio system from the phone, and the phone from the car's audio system. I shut of Bluetooth on both devices, turned it back on, and repaired everything. No change.

Anyone else having Bluetooth audio quality problems in the care, with a headset etc.?

EDIT: Anyone have the link to report an issue like this to Apple?

Last edited:

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have to repeat commands to Siri multiple times, and even then, it doesn't understand what I am saying eight out of ten times. The sound quality of Siri, my phone calls (listening to them, and for the person listening to me) are horrible. I'm really pissed.

pricebrian14

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
UK
Same thing happened too me. It sucks because I drive for work and use the phone a lot. I was hoping the next software update would fix this. I haven't tried repairing yet. Gonna try today.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I have the same experience over Bluetooth Headphones. Audio quality seems greatly reduced after updating to iOS 10. Was crystal clear before.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have the same experience over Bluetooth Headphones. Audio quality seems greatly reduced after updating to iOS 10. Was crystal clear before.

They definitely made some changes to Bluetooth that is affecting quality - on at least some of the devices out there.

What model phone do you have?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I've seen this on both the iPad Pro 9.7 and 12.9. Will try the mini 4 tonight and iPhone 5s. It is as if the audio range is being boosted which is degrading the quality - sounds like the distortion you get when pushing a cheaper speaker too far. This is when playing via a pair of Jabra Move headphones which sounded great with the same devices running iOS 9.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I've seen this on both the iPad Pro 9.7 and 12.9. Will try the mini 4 tonight and iPhone 5s. It is as if the audio range is being boosted which is degrading the quality - sounds like the distortion you get when pushing a cheaper speaker too far. This is when playing via a pair of Jabra Move headphones which sounded great with the same devices running iOS 9.

I have to significantly raise the volume to hear Siri and the person/people I am on the phone with.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Update: I wiped the phone, and set it up as a new device. I immediately went to my car, and experienced the same problems. Needless to say, I wiped the phone again, and restored from backup, Too many settings and programs to start fresh wth no benefit.

I am so disappointed that my hands free car phone experience is now so bad :(

What's the deal Apple?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Can you unpair on the car? Also, do you have handoff enabled? If so, disable that as well and try.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Can you unpair on the car? Also, do you have handoff enabled? If so, disable that as well and try.

I have unpaired both, deleted the profile for each, and repaired.

Handoff is enabled IIRC. I'll check and try again. Why would this affect the sound quality? I did notice that "Speedtest by Ookla" appeared in the bottom left corner of the lock screen, and in the task switcher the last time I tested...

mdlyen

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I'm having the same issues. In my case, if I move my phone from the dashboard holder to the center console, the problem seems to go away. This made me think it had something to do with a change in the location of the Bluetooth antenna that made a difference, but now I'm thinking it might be something in IOS10.

I'm running an iPhone 7+ so I thought it was the new hardware. I hope it is just software and can be fixed.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I have unpaired both, deleted the profile for each, and repaired.

Handoff is enabled IIRC. I'll check and try again. Why would this affect the sound quality? I did notice that "Speedtest by Ookla" appeared in the bottom left corner of the lock screen, and in the task switcher the last time I tested...

I thought the issue was not connecting properly? If it is connecting fine and just the audio quality that is the issue then I doubt handoff would have an impact.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I thought the issue was not connecting properly? If it is connecting fine and just the audio quality that is the issue then I doubt handoff would have an impact.

I tried the Handofff suggestion, and it didn't work :( I definitely appreciate the suggestion though :)

I did notice this during testing:
1) While I am connected to Siri, and I issue a command, if I press the phone's Volume (up or down) buttons, VOLUME appears on the phone.
2) It is only during a phone call that the phone displays BLUETOOTH while pressing the phone's up and down buttons.
3) Pressing UP or DOWN does not change the volume at all. I don't think this was the case on iOS 9 for either issue mentioned.
4) I no longer get the keyboard clicks through the speakers on the car while typing on the phone.

In addition to poor sound quality, Siri repeatedly doesn't hear what I am saying. I have to repeat simple commands multiple times, and only part of what I am saying is picked up. If I dictate a text message that has ten words in it, Siri will only pick up four of five of them - sometimes just one or two. While it was never perfect, it was WAY better than it is now.

All of my problems started immediately following the install of iOS 10.0.1

There's definitely something weird going on with Bluetooth in iOS 10, and my car. Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Last edited:

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Honestly why the F can't apple stop f*****g up Bluetooth every other release? Pretty annoying when all of a sudden neither my wife's 6 or my 7 can play audio in the car. Plays two seconds then seems to hang. The phone still thinks it's playing but no audio in the car and the progress stops. Repairing doesn't help.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I believe that 10.1.1 finally has fixed my issues.

All the updates after the initial iOS 10 release didn't fix my Bluetooth problems. The 10.1 release fixed volume issues, but made Siri very impatient. It would say "I didn't understand that." or something very similar as SOON as I released the button on the steering wheel that activates Siri.

I will report back if I notice any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.