Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tate16t

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
I want to toggle a particular apps Bluetooth settings not the overall Bluetooth. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
more info would probably help to response. which version of iOS? Which app? What exactly would you like to achieve?

tate16t

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
An iPhone Pro Max running 17.4.1.

I’m trying toggle off Bluetooth based on my home location for any app with a separate Bluetooth toggle setting or even a shortcut would be helpful.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
wether third-party apps include built-in shortcuts that automate app features depends on their developer.

Open the Shortcuts app, create a new Shortcut and then switch to »Apps« to see the apps listed which have registered to Shortcuts.
Click on an app name in the list to see the commands it provides. If the apps you’re interested in offer shortcut support - in your case “use bluetooth” (or not) it will be displayed here (if I understand correctly what you want to do?)

If you just want to turn off bluetooth when arriving home: create a new shortcut which just uses Shortcut’s »Set Bluetooth«-command to turn BT off. Give it a name and then create a new automation which runs this shortcut when your iPhone arrives home. Create a second shortcut to turn BT on (again just the »Set Bluetooth«-command, name it, and run this in a different automation when your iPhone leaves home.

tate16t

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Thank you very much for your help. Yes, most third-party apps include built-in shortcuts but not for its own Bluetooth connection. Is this because it’s an OS function? What you suggest works for the main setting but that will disable Bluetooth for everything.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Thank you very much for your help. Yes, most third-party apps include built-in shortcuts but not for its own Bluetooth connection.
Is this because it’s an OS function?
I would suggest to give feedback to the developers - I mean when they already offer a switch to USE it or not, they probably could implement a shortcut?
The OS offers a function to DIS/ENABLE bluetooth system wide.
What you suggest works for the main setting but that will disable Bluetooth for everything.
Sip. Side note: there is no shortcut command to quit an app, so my guess is that, if the third party developer does not provide a shortcut command to toggle the use of BT, there is not much you can do besides quitting these apps or manually toggle the use of BT from within (if this functionality is provided). Well, and “pestering” the developer to provide a shortcut to the functionality they provide within their app(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.