Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Recently got gamepass and it comes with xcloud gaming and this made me consider trying it out since its included. My xbox one controller is old and doesnt connect with BT so I am looking to get the new series X controller. Can anyone confirm if that one connects to their m1 mac via bluetooth?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Xbox One X controller was one of the early supported controllers on M1. I use it over bluetooth with Stadia game streaming and it supports rumble with, for example, Cyberpunk 2077. Sony PS5 DualSense controller support was added with Big Sur 11.3 and after but rumble doesn't appear to work on 11.4.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Apple sells this controller, and under the Compatibility section, the M1 Macs are listed, so yes it will work.

Does the PlayStation controller work well for Xbox games?

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
On the M-series machines you definitely can use the X-Series controller via Bluetooth. I play the Tomb Raider series, Batman Arkham City and The Resident Evil games. I play Thief but the character moves in circles with this controller. I bought an Xbox 360 wired controller and that fixed the circular movement problem. So, yeah, you can use the controller, but if you want no problems get a Xbox 360 wired controller. It just works. No drivers needed and cheap. Look on E-Bay.

PS: I forgot to mention a point. All of the above mentioned games minus the Resident Evil series will play the spinning game, too. They are sold by Feral Interactive and need a pList file added to stop the spinning. If you come across this problem feel free to message me for a copy of the file instead of waiting days for their response. To add to that, the pList file didn't fix Thief. This is why I recommend the Xbox 360 controller. It just works.

Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I've been using a PS5 controller via Bluetooth with my MBP, and it just paired and worked from the start. I'm not entirely sure why the XBox controllers seem to be having odd issues (such as the drift/spinning issue), but it seems to happen often enough that I leave those controllers connected to my XBox.

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
As the Feral games go, they knew of the problem and supply a solution either on their website or via email. They should have updated those titles to include that file for X-Series controller. Can't be that hard. The Apple Arcade games seem to have no problem. So, just to repeat myself, that was only a problem with their games. It has nothing to do with any other company's titles as I haven't experienced those titles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.