Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
My bluetooth just disappeared. I am using a usb dongle; the internal bluetooth module went a while ago. Now bluetooth does not appear in system report and system prefs. I have been using an apple wireless keyboard and trackpad as well as bt headphones. Is it likely the dongle or system board? An old bt 2.0 dongle also doesn't appear when swapped in. It happens when booting from two system drives. USB is working. Weird that the BT prefs are gone. Is it normal that they would simply not load if the system didn't detect bt hardware on boot up? If this is so, and assuming not both of my bt dongles are busted, what other hardware (presumably on the original and still installed module) would be required for BT? Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
My bluetooth just disappeared. I am using a usb dongle; the internal bluetooth module went a while ago. Now bluetooth does not appear in system report and system prefs. I have been using an apple wireless keyboard and trackpad as well as bt headphones. Is it likely the dongle or system board? An old bt 2.0 dongle also doesn't appear when swapped in. It happens when booting from two system drives. USB is working. Weird that the BT prefs are gone. Is it normal that they would simply not load if the system didn't detect bt hardware on boot up? If this is so, and assuming not both of my bt dongles are busted, what other hardware (presumably on the original and still installed module) would be required for BT? Any ideas appreciated.
Shut down, wait, and reboot. You might want to reset SMC. Unplug, let it sit for 30 sec, replug, wait 15 sec and reboot.
Since 10.12, I see this frequently with my internal BT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.