Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenra1in

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Hey everyone, I've been having some issues with bluetooth on my 13" 2020 i5 MacBook Pro (the one with 4 TB ports). Effectively, bluetooth stops working for a couple of minutes out of nowhere, before starting working again. The issue occurs around once a day consistently and is particularly annoying when I'm on a call since my bluetooth mouse and headphones stop working.

I've narrowed it down to not being the connected devices, but the Mac, as I use the same devices with another machine where they work without a problem. I've tried everything in this Reddit thread where someone had the same issue (it includes resetting bluetooth, the SMC chip, removing all devices, and removing potentially corrupted bluetooth files), with no luck.

Is there anyone that has had the same issue? Or could someone suggest something else that I could try?

Thank you!

MacPeasant123

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2018
Are you on macOS Big Sur?

I had a somewhat similar problem last year on Catalina: when I was in a certain part of my building at work, the keyboard would stop working, and then it says there's no bluetooth keyboard connected and becomes unresponsive. Then maybe 1-2 minutes later everything works again. It went on for a while, but then after a macOS Catalina update the problem went away, so I assume the OS update fixed my problem

greenra1in

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2021
Are you on macOS Big Sur?

I had a somewhat similar problem last year on Catalina: when I was in a certain part of my building at work, the keyboard would stop working, and then it says there's no bluetooth keyboard connected and becomes unresponsive. Then maybe 1-2 minutes later everything works again. It went on for a while, but then after a macOS Catalina update the problem went away, so I assume the OS update fixed my problem
Yeah, I'm on Big Sur. I've been updating as soon as updates are available as I've read that updates fixed the issue got fixed for some people, like you mentioned. Sadly this issue also occurs no matter where the mac is located.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.