Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm not sure if Apple AirPods do this, but whenever I reconnect (not pair) my various Bluetooth Samsung Galaxy Buds (Live, Plus etc.) they always go to 50% volume. That's way too loud for me; so I have to be careful to adjust volume down before putting them in my ears. Now that I think about it, my shower Bluetooth speaker does the same thing.

Is this normal iPhone behavior? Do I maybe have a setting wrong?

My Android phones don't do this and the last volume settings appear to be remembered or at least a lower volume is the default.

(iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15.4)

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
ha! figured it out. and it's somewhat ironic. :)

In Settings->Sounds & Haptics->Headphone Safety, there is an option called "Reduce Loud Sounds," this is purportedly a safety feature to monitor the overall volume level and keep it below a settable dB threshold, like 75dB.

Well, if this is enabled, then the volume level of all my Bluetooth devices starts about 50% of their max upon a reconnect (I checked some others, like Sony earbuds too and they behaved the same way). Disable it and then they start where they were left off. So, uh, I've disabled for now. ;)

I guess this has been around for a while, iOS 14. I get the feature's usefulness, but why they max out the volume at the start I don't get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.