Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMaelstrom

macrumors member
Original poster
I heard Steve talking about using Bluetooth to connect wirelessly to a cellphone for internet access... Just how fast is this?

I thought bluetooth was along the lines of serial speeds... Not too sharp for internet.:(

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I think bluetooth max is somewhere in the range of 784 kbps (correct me if I'm wrong) I think the limiting factor would be the speed from the cell phone.

If anyone has any experience with this, can you share specifics of it? I just got a Sony/Ericsson T616 and would like to use it to connect to the internet with the powerbook I'm planning on purchasing. Does it use minutes of my phone, or data on a web plan for the phone itself? do I need to call a dial up number?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
sloooooowwwwwwwww, no one in their right mind would connect using bluetooth for the internet if other options are available, Bluetooth is roughly 1/10th the speed of USB (about the same as a serial port I believe). It mght be OK for an emergency thing, but not for doing any real web surfing.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
BT can be fast, but not with the kind of conenction speed we're getting from cellphones today. maybe once 3G is in full swing. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.